ONE CYL.NOT FIRING

Offshore225

Recruit
HAVE A 1996 3.0 225 OFFSHORE MERC. OUTBOARD. ONE CYLINDER NOT FIRING.PROBLEM IS NOT COIL OR PLUGS. ANY IDEAS ON HOW OR WHAT TO CHECK. COMPRESSION IS GREAT ON ALL CYLINDERS.

Offshore225

Recruit
Re: ONE CYL.NOT FIRING

PLUGS AND WIRES ARE FINE. I CAN CHANGE COIL FROM CYL. NOT FIRING TO ANOTHER,PLUG IT BACK UP AND IT FIRES ON THAT CYL. HAS TO BE SOMETHING IN ELECTRICAL. MAYBE MICRO COMPUTER OR STATOR,TRIGGER???

Trent

Captain

No fire on one cylinder: Since this condition can be caused by the opposite switch box (pack), disconnect the white/black jumper between the packs and retest. If the dead cylinder starts firing, replace the pack that was firing all three cylinders. As a verification, swap the trigger and spark plug wire to the cylinder closest to the dead cylinder, (i.e., if #1 is dead, swap the brown trigger wire with the white one). If the problem moves to #3, replace the opposite power pack (switch box). If #1 is still dead, swap the green and green/white coil wires. If the problem moves to #3, replace the power pack (switch box). Please remember to put the trigger wires in the correct order after you finish.

Offshore225

Recruit

thanks.guess my problem will be power pack. this motor only has one, dont know of any way to test it