95 Mariner 60 hp-bogging

Dman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Here's what I've done so far...<br />1. New plugs<br />2. Cleaned carbs 2 times!<br />3. New primer bulb<br />4. New fuel filter-old one had some dirt in it<br />5. New gas-19 gals<br />6. Inspected all fuel lines <br /><br />The motor idles great but when I apply the gas it bogs out to the point of almost killing but then I let off the gas and it comes back down to idle just fine and will dile fine. Sounds like it's not getting gas? Or too much gas...?<br />Is there any way to test the fuel pump? May need a rebuild? It'll kinda of surge when I give it gave then bog down.<br /> Trying to figure out the problem without taking it in. The motor is hardly used from what I can tell. It's was used 3 times in the last 3 years then I bought it.<br />Thanks a bunch. The opener is 1 week away!!!<br />Dman

Dman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 95 Mariner 60 hp-bogging

Update: <br />Pumping the bulb does not make any difference, so does that eliminate the fuel pump?<br />Plugs look god with a tan color.<br />Cleaned the carbs again!<br />Gas has got to get getting to it. I took out the tank pick line and that's fine too. <br />It is firing on all cylinders.<br />Am I missing something? Could it be electical?<br />Thanks<br />Dman

Dman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Update 2:<br />Took part the fuel pump! The diaphrams are flaking away and cracking. I am guessing that this condition caused the motor to not have enough suction to get the gas to the carbs at higher speed?<br />Dman

Dman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, I put the new fuel pump kit in and it made NO DIFFERNCE whatsoever!!!<br />I'm out of options. Anyone have a clue?????<br />Dman

riverebel

Petty Officer 3rd Class

have you checked the electrical parts.i have a 95 60 hp mariner that would run good for about a 1/2 hour then die like it was running out of gas,but would idle.let it sit for awhile and u was good to go again.i noticed when it would do this that the tach would stop working ever now & then & it was overcharging.i put a new regulator/rectifier on it and took it out this weekend to try & so far so good.dont know if the overcharging was causing something to break down or what

Dman

Petty Officer 1st Class

How do I test some of the electrical componets? <br />When It comes to the electrical, I'm way past my minimal experience.<br />Dman

phatmanmike

Captain

when you say"cleaned the carbs again" are you actually taking them apart and cleaning the internals or just spraying the cheep stuff through them, if you are sparaying, thats not doing anything

Dman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Air and carb cleaner. Taken completely apart. All jets and opens are clear of any debris. 100% sure of it.<br />Does anyone know the original idle mixture screw setup? How many turns out per carb? Could it be as simple as that? <br />It idles great and doesn't kill when I put it into gear.

Dman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, it's out of my hands now. Brought it to a dealer to look at. Maybe a switchbox? I told him what I've done so far and he 'thinks' it could be electrical.<br />Later.<br />D

Dman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got the boat back and it was a fairly simple fix. Spun hub on the prop. I would have never found it. <br />I should have known. I switched props once and it went great. Put the old one back on and went like crap, which started this whole thing. <br />The opener was yesterday in WI. Kinda cold and windy but I've seen it worse!!<br />Later...<br />Dman

muskixer22

Cadet

I've been scoping out this forum for a couple of months. I think its awesome. I have a '95 Mariner 60hp Bigfoot that started bogging just like yours.<br />Started the third season a owned it. Took it to<br />Merc dealer. Rebuilt 3 carbs. No better. They<br />'suggested' switchbox. Replaced switchbox and<br />ran like a champ for two seasons, but last year it<br />started bogging again. It runs like an old Ford LTD. I started running 93 octane and it ran a little better. Ended last season with it bogging.<br />Then I found this site. Everything I've read here<br />indicates electrical. Probably switchbox.<br /> Somebody (Clams) please tell me bogging has nothing to do with the prop. I'm no mechanic,<br />but a 'spun hub' doesn't make any sense.

Dman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm not an expert either but sure enough it was the problem. They said the motor was in excellent condition with no other problems. <br />Maybe someone can explain why a spun hub will not let the motor rev and cause it to bog? Sure would be appreciated.<br />Dman

Explorer 4x4

Cadet

Would someone be kind enough to explain what a "spun hub" is please? :confused: