Lower unit removal- 125 Mariner Offshore

wahoo1

Recruit
I'm trying to remove the lower unit from my 1998 125hp Mariner Offshore long shaft. The manual says to put it in neutral then to loosen the jam nut above the shift coupler and to turn the coupler until the two halves loosen. Then to remove the nuts and pull the lower unit free. I can't seem to find the jam nut or coupler. I tried removing the nuts but the unit wasn't going to come off with out force. I would appreciate any help. Thanks

dilligafda

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Lower unit removal- 125 Mariner Offshore

Are you using the Merc manual? According to my infor there is no jam nut above the coupler. That one should just be a splined coupler between the upper and lower shift shafts. Remove all the bolts from the gearcase and lower the gearcase. (Make sure you remove the trim tab and the bolt below that too!) If it doesn't lower, a little gentle persuasion with a prying tool may help. Otherwise, soak the coupler with a good quality penetrating oil (I use PB Blaster) and let it sit overnight and try again.<br /><br />Good luck!

quantumleap

Master Chief Petty Officer

I don't think there is a bolt beneath the trim tab. It's right in front of the tab.

wahoo1

Recruit

Thanks for the help. I removed the lower unit today. Just 5 nuts and a dozen blows with a board and rubber mallet and it slid off. Changed the water pump and put it back on and everythings working great! I was using the Seloc manual. Must be a misprint. Thanks again.