Rectifiers

katbird

Petty Officer 2nd Class
76--1150 merc.<br />the rectifier on my motor now which I thought was bad is defferent from the one that I replaced it with. They both look identical laying side by side but flip them over and one is solid metal on the back and the other has a round something embedded [size of a dime] in it. Looks like a battery. Whats the defference? will It work? is it a regulator kind rectifier?

Ben Konopacky

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Rectifiers

RR; Both are the same,the metal is a heat sink.when installing use heat sink compound between diode and mounting. (ground) <br /><br />Ben

agrazela

Petty Officer 2nd Class

BenLucky,<br /><br />I will soon be installing a new rectifier on my 78 70hp mercury.<br /><br />Are you saying I should use heat sink compound between the base of the rectifier and the block? Like the goo between a processor and heatsink on a PC?<br /><br />Is this to help the rectifier dissipate heat? Will this interfere with grounding, or are the mounting screws ground enough?

Ben Konopacky

Petty Officer 1st Class

HI agrazela; the answers to your five questions.<br /> 1 yes<br /> 2 yes<br /> 3 yes<br /> 4 no<br /> 5 yes<br /><br /> You are 100% correct my friend