Another Darn Mariner Question !

nlchipman

Recruit
I have read through ALL the previous Mariner posts questioning how to determine the year of the o/b. I went to the Dutch site and did not find an answer. Perhaps someone out there could help solve this mystery. <br />The outboard numbers are as follows: <br />W55 ML 663-L-580027<br /><br />Any information, be it however small, is welcome and appreciated. <br /><br />Thanks

nlchipman

Recruit
Re: Another Darn Mariner Question !

Thanks, I appreciate you taking the time to respond. But like I said, I did do that before I posted here in desparation. I was hoping that someone may be able to tell me why the serial number does not show up on the model guide list. Is that not a complete list or is there some dark secret about this serial number that may be best left undiscovered.

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

Ah - I thought you'd been on a Dutch site?<br /><br />OK - so far you haven't stated your motor size?<br /><br />And: Are you absolutelu 100% sure you've got the # right? Sometimes it's almost impossible to get a good reading.

nlchipman

Recruit

I know - I realized the error after submitting the post. Too late. Then, to make matters a little worse, I noticed you have a Swedish registry. Sorry if the confusion offended you. <br /><br />Either way, the motor size is indicated as "55". The numbers are right. But I gave up and contacted Mercury - they looked it up and told me it was a 1988. They said, for some reason, this serial is not listed in many guides. They're very helpful.<br /><br />Thanks for your efforts.

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

OK, all right. Apart from my being Swedish :mad: <br /><br />I'm in Copenhagen, capitol of Denmark, neighbour country to Sweden.<br /><br />Good you got your ID. :cool:

dilligafda

Petty Officer 1st Class

That is a 1985 55 horsepower Mariner. By the way, that is a U.S. serial number.

nlchipman

Recruit

....so you live in the Alpines then, cool. ;) <br /><br />(joking this time) <br /><br />Sorry, I really did flunk geography. No offense. :eek:

nlchipman

Recruit

dillagaf - <br />where did you get that info? I talked with the folks at Mercury who looked it up in their "special data base" and told me it was a 1988. I would love to know your source so I know for certain which it is. <br /><br />Thanks for your help

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

To be an 1988 model, the numbers would be like this:<br /><br />55 ML 663-586106 - 663-589405 1988 Marathon <br /><br />The nearest thing to your motor is:<br /><br />55 ML 663-580461 - 1985 Marathon <br /><br />Which would lead one to believe that it's an 1984-1985 model, with the slightly lower number.