just got this new merc 1150, now what...

phatmanmike

Captain
just got boat today, 1960 glasspar with 1977 merc 1150 IL6 cyl. boat has been inside a garage since 1986. elder man passed away and donated to a charity where i got it 5 days later.hasnt been run in 18 years, ihooked up batt and selenoid clicks, i bypassed it and motor spins, but sometimes starter spins without engaging. compression is 155-160lbs in all cylinders except #6, how do you get down there to expose it, its so low on the cowl...its my first merc..<br /><br />motor is absolutely clean and spic and span. id rate it a 9 out of a 10. still has origonall dealer stickers on motor. what should i do before i try to start this thing. i already sprayed some synthetic 2 stroke oil into the cyls before i checked the compresiion... any ideas how to get this thing going would be appreciated.<br /><br />thank<br />mikey <br />phatmanmike@yahoo.com

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: just got this new merc 1150, now what...

Mike, I think you know what you need to do. clean the carbs, check all the wiring from the battery to the selonoid and then to the starter and also the ground wires. Shoot some WD-40 on the pinion shaft of the starter and see if that helps the gear pop up. Does it have spark on all 6? Try shooting some pre-mix in the carbs and see if she fires.