trigger test

katbird

Petty Officer 2nd Class
are there a way to test the trigger on a 76 115hp 1150. I tried the spark test on the switch box that clams was talking about and there was a spark small but it was sparking. I unhooked the trigger wires and checked with a ohm meter. there was continuity with the white and brown but black read .004 ohms. there isn't any fire at all. if the coil was bad then the switch box would'nt spark. every parts house I've tried told me I was out of luck. looked on ebay and found one for a 85hp but it was a4 cyl. I haven't seen clams on the forum for a while. I was hoping that he could help.thanks for any input.

ozarkjeep

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: trigger test

THe service book stell you to take it iin to a merc dealer for testing.. hehe<br /><br />I think its a hall effect trigger.<br /><br />I had mine apart last weekend, chasing a no spark problem also.<br /><br />basically the switchbox sends 12 volts to the distributor, and when the holes in the shutter line up ( time to spark) the 12V is passed back to the switchbox.<br /><br />now if your sparking, I would think the trigger is doing its thing.<br /><br />if you have a weak spark I would be looking at the Coil, or stator ( asuming you have an ignition system that uses stator power to spark)