remove flywheel from 1970 80HP

ozarkjeep

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I rented the proper tool from a local shop, it is as tight as I can get it, and the flywheel wont come off?<br /><br />what am I missing?<br /><br />I have sprayed penetrating oil onto thesplines, and I stacked a washer on top of the crank to makesure I have enough threadto push it off.<br /><br />any other ideas<br />?

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: remove flywheel from 1970 80HP

ozarkjeep,<br /> Don't want to doubt you,but this proper tool you rented,how does it attach to th flywheel?<br />DHP

ozarkjeep

Petty Officer 2nd Class

it threadsinto the recess where theflywheel nut is, and then there is a bolt thru the center thatis rounded thatpushes against the top of the crank shaft.<br /><br />it is the proper tool according to my seloc manual.<br /><br />any otherideas? I am leaving it on all night maybe the oil will free it up, an dit will befree by morning, otherwise I will probably try to slightly heat the flywheel tomorow.<br /><br />thanks!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> can you post me what this tool looks like and how it attaches to the flywheel? there is a trick to using the factory tool on stubborn flywheels.<br /> good luck and keep posting

remmer38

Seaman

When you use a flywheel puller,,<br />1) it is usually a 3 bolt config. The flat part is on the bootom. Put all the bolts in the flywheel bolt places through the bolt holes in the top assembly. Damn tech terms.<br />2) tighten the bolts by hand evenly.<br />3) The center large bolt on the flywheelpull should be lightly torgue down on the center flywheel(on the motor) middle bolt round recess.<br />4) As you evnly tighten each bolt.........evenly ..a turn by half at a time,,,Tap with a rubber hard mallet on the top piece of your fly wheel puller. Be rady as the magnet in the stator area is strong asnd it wiil jump when it pops free.<br /><br />It is not rust that makes pulling a flywheel hard. Opposites attract and the magnets are strong . I aint pulling a 200's without a spotter...lol. You wanna do it ....suree

ZmOz

Captain

Maybe try an impact wrench on the bolt that removes the flywheel?

remmer38

Seaman

NOOOOOOOOOO. It shouldnt be hard to undo as the tourgue specs arent but 100 foot pounds or so.

DHPMARINE

Captain

ozarkjeep, Are there threads left for the bolt to keep threading into the puller?The Merc puller comes with a spacer that sits between the bolt and the top of the crankshaft.Seldom see Merc flywheels hard to pull,because they use a splined crank,as opposed to a tapered crank.<br />DHP

Forceluver

Seaman Apprentice

Take it for what Its worth, I just pulled the flywheel off of my motor BUT I unscrewed the eight bolts that were just on the outside of the flywheel nut. I do not know If you have the same setup or not. If you do this just make sure you put each bolt back in the right spot, and make note of the torque so it goes on just as tight.<br />Good luck

RICKRICK1

Ensign

Silly question? Did you remove the nut that holds the flywheel on?

ozarkjeep

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hehe,<br /><br />thanks for the help guys.<br /><br />DHP, it seems you might be theonly one who has seen thistool, I did usea penny,and then a stainlesswahser to space it to have enough thread on teh centerbolt to pull itoff.<br /><br />andthen it cameoff.<br /><br />thanks all for the help!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> glad ya got it off, on the merc tool place the thread protector on the crnk. back off the center bolt. thread the tool body in place then back it out 2 turns. run the center bolt down while holding the tool body. if the flywheel does not pop then hold the flywheel and thread the main puller body down. the reason for this is if the flywheel is stuck I have seen techs pull on the small center bolt until it snapped. its not avalible seperately and that tool is about 90 dollars now. <br /> good luck and keep posting. glad to see ya used the right tool for the job :)