Steering problems

aussiebattler

Recruit
1996 100hp Merc Has very stiff steering which I have deduced from your forum as being a problem with the pivot pin and or bushes.<br />Is the replacement of this/these components a difficult thing to do?<br />Have already tried heat to area with no success.<br />I cant find any info in the workshop manual on this topic.

remmer38

Seaman
Re: Steering problems

How long did you heat it. Did you introduce grease to the fitting on the pivot? If you unhook your steering control arm from the teleflex cable, you can work your motor by hand back and forth. I found it important to sit there with the heat for a good bit of time. Also turn the motor all the way to each side as you heat it as I believe the heat actually will draw grease in. Good luck and keep us posted. If you find that the motor moves freely while disconnected, it is your steering cable or the gear at the steering wheel itself. I replaced one on a 2003 Honda 130. I think it was around 150 for all.

Kenny Bush

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Steering problems

Unhook the motor steering rod and make sure the motor moves freely on it's centerpin, then turn the steering wheel and make sure the wheel/cable move freely. It also could be the steering friction screw turned in too tight. Check it and post back......mate.