Long or Short Foot?

merc20

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1981 20hp Mercury. I had it on a 16 in transom boat. I had to raise the motor 2 inches to get the cavitation plate almost even with the bottom of the boat, it was still a little low. I now have a 20 in transom boat. When I put the motor down on the transom it is 2 inches short. I have measured the motor from the mounting bracket to the cavitation plate and it is 18 inches. Has anyone ever heard of this? Is it an oddball? or was this a normal length for this motor?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Long or Short Foot?

Lots of small motors like this out there. Although boats seem to be withing an inch of the short or long designation, motors are not.???<br /><br />Give it a try, it may work fine.

merc20

Seaman Apprentice

I tried it this past weeken with an old 2 blade prop it would cavitate when the bow would fall back down to plane out. My 3 blade prop is sort of messed up and I have found a new cupped 3 blade that I plan to try this weekend.

KCLOST

Commander

The best way to resolve this without adding an extreme amount of time and money trying to determine the best way to avoid cavitation with your current setup, is to add a jack plate. Hopefully there is a thin model out there that will not cause the motor to be to far back. Maybe you can add/make something yourself that will mount to the transom and therefore when you mount the motor to it, it will be low enough.<br /><br />Just a thought.

Fishin4fun

Seaman

Is 4-5" back from transom too much for your boat on a jack plate? If that measurment is ok, post a wanted ad! I understand you cant post stuff forsale on the forum but I am confident you will get a response for a real good deal!!!!