Optimax question

Trophyboy

Cadet
Hi all, My Optimax has been stumping the local mechanics so I thought I'd see if anyone here can help. I have a 2002 135 Salt that had been running like a dream until I had annual maintenance done for $650. It still runs like a dream on the way out to fish but once shut down for a couple hours cuts out repeatedly when I attempt to go over 2500 rpms on the way home. Seems to be able able to go 2500 and slower without any symptoms. This has happened the last three times out since service and they checked all kinds of stuff after the first experience. No codes no nothing!! They even ran it under load. Any ideas? I am going to take it back again but short of taking it to a local lake and trying to duplicate the scenario...they are stumped. Thanks for any help.

outboardguy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Optimax question

What exactly did their "service" entail? Do you have a constant tattle tale stream?

Trophyboy

Cadet

Hi, supposedly FULL SERVICE...5 hours worth...I don't know?? Have had good tell tale all along although they did replace the temp sensor that they said was causing overheating intermittant alarms. Could the wrong spark plugs cause the problem I described? I don't think they replaced any other parts other than H2o pump kit. Thanks

qmmaster

Cadet

I've had a similar problem with my old 225 opti's. One of the engines would run fine until it hit 3000 rpm then die. Fortunately I was able to take it to a mechanic on the water and he had just seen the same thing a week before (it took them 2 full days to figure it out the week before) The main wiring harness didn't have a solid connection where the male and female ends meet. The male end on one of the plugs had been squished together and would lose contact with the female end. A simple prying open the male pins took care of the problem.