used motor on new boat? help!!

wva

Cadet
i have a 2003 bass tracker, with no motor this is a couple questions i guess?<br />1-mercury comes stock on them can i put another brand of motor on it will wireing harness hook up?<br />2-how far Years on a mercury can i go back to install on my boat that will hook up to my harness?(i know some old mercs have different harnesess)i have a chance to buy a 1998 60 hp merc motor cheap will it fit?<br />3-does any one have a good motor that will work for me forsale?<br />4-or can you get adaptors for different type of harnesess

Clams Canino

Commander
Re: used motor on new boat? help!!

Originally posted by wva:<br />i have a 2003 bass tracker, with no motor this is a couple questions i guess?<br />1-mercury comes stock on them can i put another brand of motor on it will wireing harness hook up?<br />2-how far Years on a mercury can i go back to install on my boat that will hook up to my harness?(i know some old mercs have different harnesess)i have a chance to buy a 1998 60 hp merc motor cheap will it fit?<br />3-does any one have a good motor that will work for me forsale?<br />4-or can you get adaptors for different type of harnesess
1. Not readily - Mercury pre-rig is just that.<br />2. Depending on the size of that Tracker - one species of older Merc stands out (far above the rest) to rock it's world. The 1985-1988 115. I rigged one on a (leftover) 2000 Seaswirl for myself. Any ADI motor that meet NNMA standards outta wire up. (but you still need to study)<br /><br />3. Check Ebay for above.<br />4. Not that I know of.<br /><br />If you bought an unrigged boat, you are gonna get an education rigging it. Well worth the effort.<br /><br />-W

Darian F.

Seaman

also to consider is the engines shaft length<br /> your engine's cavitation plate needs to be some where in the neighborhood of the boat plus or minus an inch or so <br /><br />an extra long shaft might plow the water <br />a short shaft engine might not allow you to plane out or pull skiers

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> how large a boat is this. I think bass tracker had at least 2 models:) :) . is it aluminium or fiberglass? a 60 may be too much or not enough. merc wiring with the round connector fits most mercs since about 1985 or so. the control cables fit all the way up till this year. they are changing this year i think. post back how big a boat and get some feed back. a 17 ft glass tracker with a 60 is just one step from teats on a boar hog.<br /> good luck and keep posting

wva

Cadet

thanks guys<br />its a pt 175 model<br />bass tracker puts a 25 hp motor stock but you can put up to a 75 hp motor on boat<br />i figured a 60 would do me just fine<br />also recommended for bass tracker is a 20'' shaft and this motor has that.<br />its also a bigfoot what ever that means

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> if its rated for a 75 a 60 will get ya by. the big foot is a name for a gearcase some bean counter dreamed up. it is larger than the other small merc cases and sounds more macho. really doesnt mean anything<br /> good luck and keep posting

MrWick

Seaman

I remember reading in a Mercury manual that a bigfoot was a motor that had a lower unit somewhat more heavyduty for pushing pontoon boats and such.

Bob Kimber

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The bigfoot on the 60hp motor is the lower unit from the 75/90 hp 3 cylinder motors, has a larger gearbox and housing running 2.30 : 1 ratio for heavier duty work instead of standard ratio 1.83 : 1<br /><br />Bob