water problems

jimmy@wm

Cadet
Hello again guy's,I just finished replacing the water pump on the '87 mariner 150.When running on muffs water continuosly run out of prop but never out tell-tale hose even with t-stats removed.With t-stats removed I can start engine and switch off then restart immediatly and water will come out tell-tale hose.The water pump was replaced exactly as merc manual required(pump,gaskets,etc.)Could this have anything to do with the relief and if so how is it removed?Where can I find a water flow diagram for this engine, the merc manual dosen't show very much on cooling system. Tahnks for any advice.<br /><br />Jimmy :confused:

war eagle

Seaman Apprentice
Re: water problems

Hello jimmy,<br />Im guessing a hornet might have got in their and clogged it up.Go in their and make sure that it is all claen and clogg free.

jimmy@wm

Cadet

Thanks War Eagle, I took the cover off and tried to remove the valve to inspect but I can't get it out. I didn't know if it was to be removed from the outside or not. How much pressure is needed to remove to valve contents? Thanks for the reply.<br /><br />Jimmy

KCLOST

Commander

Removing your poppet (relief valve) won't help getting water to the tell-tale. That will make it worse, to where the water entering the cooling system will be exited through the exhaust without fully circulating around the block. It's like opening the plug at the bottom of a sink. <br />I don't understand what you mean by getting water out the tell-tale after a quick restart,,,,that doesn't make sense to me. <br /><br />When running the engine with muffs at idle, do you see water exiting the upper exhaust ports? If so, your poppet could be stuck in the open position... Th poppet is removed from the outside. Two bolts hold the cover on, and if I remember correctly the rest is all one piece, that should just pull out. There is a second metal piece under the cover that has a screw going through it, a plastic washer, diphram, and on the other side a spring and the poppet valve. That whoule section whould come out at once, maybe the relief valve plate (as it is called) is stuck to the block).<br />Check this link out to see a diagram..<br />You may have to copy and paste, as it is pretty long... Look at par#'s 11-22<br /><br /> http://www.dougrussell.com/partscat...berList=20,100,80,140,110,150,260,120,30,90,2 00,180,210,190,50,220,270,0,230,240,250,130,40,160,70,10,170,60

jimmy@wm

Cadet

Thanks guys, as far as the eratic tale tell problem. I think I found out what I was doing wrong. I was using full hose pressure(50 psi) causing the relief to dump all the water back to exhaust. Re-checked with t-stats in and lower hose pressure, water almost immediately comes out tale-tell hose and when t-stats open picks up a little bit. Installed hose in top of block behind flywheel with guage on it, at idle (1500+ rpm) with t-stats open 5-psi,at 2200 rpm 12 psi. Water temp at tale-tell is 138 deg. When I started working on this boat the trigger was bad causing it to fire on only 4 cyls and I think someone advanced the timing and idle rpm to compensate for the lose of 2 cyls. I have to pick up a timing light and check. I still want to check the relief valve to make sure it's not got trash in it.I hope these #'s sound right. Thanks again for your help.<br /><br />Jimmy

KCLOST

Commander

Your idle rpm should be around 600-700 no more than 800 with the muffs.. At 650 rpm with muffs, you should see 4-5psi with the stats closed. Get that adjusted soon, you don't want to run you're engine above 1200 rpms with muffs, you could cause damage.