rewire a 1970 80HP

ozarkjeep

Petty Officer 2nd Class
all of the wires are rotted, it looks pretty easy except I wonder if the wires going under the flyuwheel will be potted or epoxied into the coils?<br /><br />also the distributer wires, will they be potted in?<br /><br />if so how can I rewire them without replacing the parts?<br /><br />I read once about cutting the stuff away making the connection and then using some "potting compound" to re seal it?<br /><br />any one ever done this?

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander
Re: rewire a 1970 80HP

Yes you can cut and join them.Try to relpace them with same amp wire preferably Marine grade.

Clams Canino

Commander

The wires into the stator and distributor are indeed potted in. Best you can do is to cut them back and solder on a similar guage wire. If they aren't too bad perhaps you could just protect them with liquid electrical tape. The rest of the wires belong to the internal wire harness. Those are available new and used.<br /><br />-W

ozarkjeep

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I priced a new wireing harness for $150 ( the internal one)<br /><br />I dont want to spend that for the 7 wires in there, I was thinking of running new wire from the control box to battery and then to engine, bypass the connector on the side of the engine.<br /><br />at least until I can make sure the engine it self runs ok, then I might put some $$ into it.<br /><br />is there any way to cut or melt that potting compund away from the stator and distriobuter to solder new wires on?<br /><br />I dont think there is enough good wire to connect to as it is right now, Ill attatch some photos later and you can see what I mean, the wires look like a stretched out green cotton ball, and are about as strong.

Clams Canino

Commander

Unfortunately - no. What you need to do is clean some of that green stuff carefully, tie the new wire on with a strand of wire, then solder and shrink sleeve the mess. I've saved many a stator that way. As for the distributor, that body (with trigger) costs $400! be CAREFULL.<br /><br />Email me at wa1mkh@comcast.net if you need advanced help with those electrics. :) <br /><br />-W

ozarkjeep

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will probably take you up on that Clams, thanks for the offer!<br /><br />here are the photos, I guess mercury had a bad batch of wire for a few year period back then, the guy that gave me this engine, had a similar vintage 115 with the exact same problem.<br /><br />
1266661-mercwire1.jpg
<br /><br />
1266663-mercwire3.jpg
<br /><br />
1266669-mercwire5.jpg

Clams Canino

Commander

Try again. I forgot the A in Comcast - LOL<br /><br />I just edited it now to correct it. I'm such a loser sometimes. :D