Idle problems

lovnmyboat

Cadet
I have 91 Merc 200 XRI EFI, I continually wants to load up at idle and appear to miss. At WOT, it runs fine with no miss or anything. I took it to a shop and they did the required tune up and found nothing wrong. They did say that it appeared that the motor may be setting too low in the water and water may be getting into that little square plug looking thing that is below the power head on the back of the motor. The motor sits low, that plug is out of the water by 3 or 4 inches. Water may wash up upon stopping or just sitting on the beach but it is not submerged. This is a very reputable shop but they were busy and didn't seem really concerned with my concerns. Any expert suggestions to look elsewhere?

dilligafda

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Idle problems

Too low in the water might cause a loading condition when idleing, but not once the boat is moving. There are a couple of things the dealer could look at to be the cause of the rich condition. First, they can check the temp sensor. If the engine sees a cold condition, the engine will run rich causing your issue. Next check the TPI (Throttle Position Indicator) for proper idle adjustment then check the intake air temp sender. Finally, it may be as simple as a dirty fuel injector or fuel pressure regulator. The dealer should be able to locate the source of your rich condition after performing these checks.<br /><br />Good Luck and keep posting!

outboardguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't all two strokes, regardless if EFI or Carb, have a bleed system? If so then that could be the problem with your engine.Has it had this problem since you got it?How long have you had it? :)

lovnmyboat

Cadet

It has been that way since I have had it and I have had it about 2 years. I have just dealt with it all this time.

outboardguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Where in so cal are you at?If you don't mind me asking.I believe the bleed lines should be somewhat obvious looking at the motor.Look for multiple rubber lines about 1/4 dia going from one cyl to another cyl.You should remove them carefully and clean them out with carb cleaner then reinstall.The purpose of the bleed system is to purge any unburned fuel from one cyl to the next one in line to be burned. If it is plugged it will result in loading up at idle.Good Luck :) BTW take a look at this link<br /><br /> http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...1/27.png&inbr=521&bnbr=150&bdesc=BLEED+SYSTEM

lovnmyboat

Cadet

I am in San Clemente, are you local? Thanks for the input. The boat is currently at my place at the River and I will be bringing it home in about a week. Thanks for all the info, I will keep you posted...Larry

outboardguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am in Crestline,California which is the San Bernardino mountains.You know, the one's that just barely missed getting burned up by those fires in october.I'm not sure how far San Clemente is from me but you can always e-mail me if you need help and I'll see what I can do. :) Outboardguy1@aol.com