question on pee streem while flushing?

hmart

Recruit
I have a mercury 150 that I have not ran all winter, I did the usual tune up and began to flush the motor but noticed that there was no pee stream coming out from the water pump. I imidiatly shut the engine off, my question is does it take a while for the stream to show up, and should I have left the motor on longer? I purchased this motor at the end of 2001, I have not replaced the water pump. Also when I flush the engine through the static attachment with the engine off I do get a stream. Thaks if any one can help!!!!!

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander
Re: question on pee streem while flushing?

It takes a couple on minutes for the engine to fill with water and then come out. If you're waiting for any more than say about 3 minutee it's either blocked or water pump has failed.<br />You don't get a stream with the motor off and hose running.. It's got to be pumped up through the motor by the water pump.

hmart

Recruit

Unicorn thanks for the fast response! I did not let it run even a minute till I shut the motor off. I should have explained this better but when I mentioned that I flushed the motor with the engine off I used the attachment that hooks a water hose to the 1/2 inch plug by the pee hole. In the shop manual for this engine it states to not run the engine when it is flushed in this manner or you will cause damage to the water pump and power head. Now when I was not getting a stream of water from the pee hole was when I used the normal way to flush the motor with the attachment to the water intake of the lower unit and the engine on. Thanks for the info I will let it run a little longer!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> on v configured 150 mercs the tell tale is discharge water from the t-stats at low speeds. it may take several minutes to get a stream on the flusher. you have to wait until the stats open.<br /> most late model v 6 gear cases have two small holes just above the cavitaion plate that can be seen only on the flusher. not only will these holes drain the pump but you can see it pumping. so dont sweat the no instant tell tale it was designed that way.<br /> good luck and keep posting

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

Might also think about replacing the impeller as after a long sit, the vanes can get stuck in the housing and shear off when started.

hmart

Recruit

I want to thank you guys for the different ideas! I did wait to to see if water would come out, as you guys mentioned I did get a trickle to come out of the pee hole but it was a slow trickle. I poked a needle into the hole while flushing the motor and removed a dead spider with its web, this is what was clogging the hole. I do plan to remove and instal a new water pump sometime this week. Thanks again and great board! ;) ;) ;)