First boat, need advice

kalmos

Recruit
Hi, <br /><br />I'm looking to buy my first boat for about $3000US. I'm thinking that 16 footer should do it. The boat will be used for fishing, water skiing and tubing during the summer. I would like to get something as new as possible (80's and up). Here are some beginner questions I have: <br /><br />1. Should I get I/O or just the outboard motor?<br />2. Force motor/boat combo seem to be less expensive. Any opinions on that? <br />3. I like the open bow boats. Should I go aluminum or fiber glass. <br />4. What brands should I consider and which should I stay away from?<br />5. How big of an engine will I need? <br /><br />Any other advice will be greatly appreaciated. <br /><br />Thanks,<br />...Peter

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: First boat, need advice

1) Outboard<br />2) Do not get a FORCE Motor!<br />3) Your choice, although you will need less HP with alumnimun,less maintenance and is easier to trailer.<br />4) Stay away from older Bayliners!<br />5) a 50HP or above should do fine or the biggest that the boat is rated for. Don't underpower, you will regret it!<br /><br />Good Luck,

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

May I suggest that you spend 2000-2500 and keep the rest in reserve for maintenance, repairs and goodies.<br /><br />Bob

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

great advice Bob_vt, by the time I had my carbs and fuel pumps rebuilt along with other things like new hoses, battery etc, it added another $500<br />and this was just maintainence, not repairs.

kalmos

Recruit

1. Why should I stay away from Force motors?<br />2. Why should I stay away from older Bayliners? How old is older? <br />2. Seems like I/O is usually way more HP. Why is outboard motor better then I/O. Which one is better on gas?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

1-Force Motors are trouble! Just do a "search" at the top of this page on "Force" and you will see what I mean. Stick With Johnson/Mercurys for reliability and Parts.<br />2-Older Bayliners(80's) had problems with poor design and stuctural problems(Rot, Ect)<br />3-It only seems like an I/O would have more power, but that is not true, compared to an outboard. You also lose room in the boat, because that's where the Motor is located and if you ever wanted to swap motors or yours blows up, forget it with an I/O. You can always find another outboard at a decent price! Also, they are easier to work on and give you a longer boating season, as you don't have the extensive winterizing as you do with an I/O. The list goes on and on!

jocko_nc

Seaman

My $ .02...<br /><br />Older Bayliners are definitely NOT the best boats on the water. I know, I just sold an 86 195 cuddy. They skimped on materials and quality was not there. That being said, the boat I ran had never had a problem and never left me (us) stranded for sixteen years. Any boats from that era will have potential rot issues. Certainly the deck. More than likely the stringers and transom, too. You have to look beneath the carpet and feel around for signs of rot. Anywhere the wood was exposed to water over time (read: not properly encapsulated in glass) will have issues. Any place where a fastener was used but not properly sealed watertight. Any thru hull fitting. Transoms are probably the worst place for rot w/ an outboard boat. Structural flaws (rotten or detached stringers) will likely show along the hull as the hull will deform at that location. The hull might feel soft or give too much when you lean of it.<br /><br />I would go with an outboard. (no Force) Outboard boats are commonly repowered for years of additional life. I/O's are a pain to work on. As far as I/O's from that vintage, Volvo Penta made a superior product. (Having worked on others) A 150 outboard will push a large boat quite fast. It is amazing how well outboards push a boat. Acceleration is great. You will no doubt be looking at a 2-stroke model. Used 2 strokes are everywhere with the new 4 strokes becoming popular. 2 strokes absolutely KICK which is a pretty good thing.<br /><br />Take someone out with you who has owned and knows boats.<br /><br />Good luck.<br /><br />jocko