clanking sound in 1997 Mercury Offshore 150

Ortdude

Recruit
went (tried) to go fishing this morning, temp was around 35 degrees, had to choke it and put it at a fast idle to start it, when I backed out of slip I heard a clanking sound from possibly the lower unit area, and the engine kept dying, when I got it out in the river I slowly increased the power, it seemed to have unusual vibration, then ther was a loud snap from the engine, I was able to idle back to the dock, I didn't dare apply any more power to it. when I got home I put the muffs on it, started it, put it in gear, and there is somthing clanking around in there, I spose I'll have to take off lower unit and take a look around, can anyone tell me how to remove it?<br /><br />It is a 1997 150 offshore merc.<br />HELP :mad:

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: clanking sound in 1997 Mercury Offshore 150

Step 1. Get a repair manual.<br />Click on "Manuals" above.<br /><br />g'luck & c/6<br />Hooty

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Step 2: Drop lower unit and find out what happened...

AndyL

Petty Officer 1st Class

Remove the drain plug from the bottom of the gearbox as it has a magnetic core. If you have had destruction in the unit there will be shards of metal attached to it. It may be depressing so leave it until after Xmas.<br /><br />Good luck.<br />Andy

boatman24

Recruit

from wat it sounds like...i think it may be sumthing even mor serious...if the clankin stills happens at idle...the problem may be that u broke a piston connecting rod...maybe..maybe not....its a possibility...

Ortdude

Recruit

Well, I did step 1, I tried step 2, broke 2 sockets trying to remove trim tab bolt, swore a couple of times and took it to shop, christmas is over and I should get some taxes back this year, so I'm not as depressed as I could be, and it doesn't clank when in gear, thank god.<br /><br />There was some fine metal shards on the drain plug though.<br /><br />Thanks!