200 Merc won't tilt down

I've got a 21' Proline with a 200 Merc 2.5L Offshore (not sure about the year, think it's about a '96) and the tilt works fine going up but doesn't want to go down. My pal Bo that's about 230 lays on top of it and it reluctantly drops. I'm not sure about what type of fluid to add or if the fluid is even the problem. I see a screw type plug on the front of the center shaft but I'm a bit ignorant in this area. Help is much appreciated.

partslife

Cadet
Re: 200 Merc won't tilt down

is the trim motor working when you try and trim down?

Yes it is. Sorry for the lack of info. The motor goes up fine and runs trying to go down, the motor just doesn't move (or very slowly). If he leans on it it goes down slowly and makes a raised rpm kind of sound.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Raise the lower unit all the way up and remove the fill screw. Use tilt and trim fluid(available at most discount stores(Walmart) and of course the dealer). Top off the fluid until it starts coming out the hole. Replace the screw and cycle the unit up and down 3 or 4 times. Remove the screw again and Recheck fluid level as before and add more if nessesary. If this doesn't solve the problem, you have internal problems that are causing the it to stay up.

Well, it's still doing the same thing. As much as I'd like to fix it, I guess it might have to be looked at by someone who knows what they're doing. Thanks for the help.

BW23

Seaman

Are there any grease fittings on the steer tube???<br /><br />If so, give them a squirt of water resistant grease. Annual maintenance.

clanton

Rear Admiral

Pilot check valve seals, or toggle lever inside pump too loose. After you check fluid, and manual release valve.