Boat carpet replacement

Allen Henry

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Howdy,<br /><br />I'm going to replace the old worn out carpet in my 17' monark fiberglass bass boat and was considering a few options:<br /><br />1. traditional carpet<br /> ***edit*** (traditional boat carpet)<br />2. the colored astro turf (indoor/outdoor carpet)<br />3. the rubber type bed liner (also colored)<br /><br />I'm in the process of pricing now, but was wondering what experiences ya'll have had with any of these products or what recommendations you could offer.<br />Thanks,<br />Trp251

durk187

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Boat carpet replacement

Trditional carpet wont last, it will rot very quickly.<br /><br />I just put i/o carpet in my joh boat and it was fairly easy, just have to glue it down and thats it. Takes nerves of steel to get the glue and fiber off your hands when your done.<br /><br />No exp. with bed liner but think its a good idea. I think the deciding factor should be what your going to do with the boat, if you need it to be hosed down go with the liner. If you want all around looks/value/proformance I would choose carpet.<br /><br />DC

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

Agreed. Make sure that whatever material you decide on, you get a marine quality. Carpets and other interior are exposed to hostile environments (sun, water, always outdoors etc. etc.) and really should be designed for it. Take a color that is not too bright (fade), prepare properly (as the floor beneath the carpet won't be accessible once the carpet is glued down) and plan thoroughly to get things done in right order.<br /><br />FYI: http://www.basspro-shops.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=17379&hvarTarget=search <br /> http://www.dorsettcarpet.com/bayshore.html <br /> http://www.boatcarpet.com/index2.html who even has a page with tips on measuring etc.

Allen Henry

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys,<br /><br />Sorry, I guess I wasn't very clear. By traditional carpet, I ment traditional boat carpet as opposed to the astro turf type. Of these two, I'm not sure which will have more longevity. Duckcommander, looks and performance are important, performance more than looks, so maybe the carpet would be the way to go. UU thanks for the sites they'll come in handy should I decide to go with the carpet.<br /><br />Thanks Again,<br />TRP251

MGuckin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I used liquid bedliner for the fishing areas of my boats and marine carpet for the rest.<br />Bought the carpet at Home Depot for about $4/yd (9 square feet). It comes 6' wide.<br />I put the bedliner on with a texture roller. It made an attractive non-skid surface that is easy to clean and does not retain water. Some of the liquid bedliners are also paintable. I left mine black.

Allen Henry

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks MG,<br /><br />Is the bed liner slick when wet? Some of the bed liners I've been around appear to be more rubber like than others. I wasn't sure how they would be after they got wet.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />TRP251

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Believe it or not, indoor/outdoor carpet will last many years, as it is made to be outside in the elements. Has worked for me in my runabout for 5 years and is cheap! Just depends on what you want to spend! It's also cool on the feet and easy to clean! Just a thought and there are many colors to chose from!

Allen Henry

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks rick,<br /><br />I have seen it on a few boats but not up close. How has it held up in the high traffic areas in you boat? Does it wear well? I would think you could hose this off like the bed liner with out soaking up alot of water, making for an easier clean up than the carpet.<br /><br />Thanks again,<br />TRP251

Capt. Bob

Petty Officer 1st Class

This past weekend I re-installed carpet in my boat. I used the indoor-outdoor variety and found it at Home Depot. It was the only one that actually said marine quality and it was 12' wide and cost around $4 per yard, about $45. for the job. I bought a piece 8'X12' and used the full 12' length and rolled it up the sides. I covered the side shelf boards also. There are only three pieces of carpet in the boat. The small joint you can see on the side dissapeared when I cut through the two layers together. When I removed the old carpet, it was spot glued and I had about 3 hours of scraping to remove rubber backing and glue. My carpet laid in the boat so well after cutting, it hardly needed any attachment to the hull. I went with a double sided carpet tape designed for outdoor use and it worked great. Time will tell if the tape holds up for the long haul...but if it doesn't, I can always spot glue again. I stapled the carpet to the side shelf boards. <br /><br />To give credit...crabbait suggested that I epoxy the new seat bases down to the deck instead of screwing and that is what I did after cutting out the carpet for the base. It worked out great...thanks crab.<br />
interior.JPG

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

nice job Capt. Bob! hey Trooper :D <br />you may also want to consider marine grade<br />non-skid vinyl fooring. my '72 has the origional<br />and it it virtually waterproof, washes easy,<br />durable and you won't get hooks caught in the<br />carpet.. LOL. comes in any color too.<br />not sure about cost, but it's something to look into.<br />I'll do a search and see if I can find some links for you. :) <br />good luck buddy!<br />M.Y.

Capt. Bob

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mellow...That vinyl is called Nautolex and a search at www.google.com will yield many hits. It was used for years on decks for cruisers and smaller boats. The local marine stores carry it but usually only in one pattern.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

thanks to Ed from Granville...another option.<br /> http://www.nonslipcoating.com/marine.htm <br />1 gallon of Durabak™ coating (approx. 60 sq. ft. of coverage or 1 6ft pickup bed), a roller cover & application instructions.<br /><br />it's pretty darn pricey at $119-$139 a gallon,<br />OUCH!

Valv

Petty Officer 1st Class

Trooper, I recarpeted many boats and marine quality is great.<br />One thing you might want to consider, since you are probably fishing a lot on a bass boat, get short fiber carpet. I made the mistake to get fancier (and more $$) carpet and I keep getting Rapalas stuck in it if I drop them, or when I land fish. It's a pain. In 6 months I already have so many loose threads from pulling crankbaits out, I am close to re-do job with some sort of bedliner. I have a 18' aluminum fishing boat.<br /><br />Just some thoughts to consider.<br /><br />Val

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

Hi Trooper,<br /><br />Sorry to have misunderstood your initial post. Nevertheless, marine/outdoor gear for marine use IS the way to go.<br /><br />And don't say there's nothing to choose from. Folks here point out several possible solutions so you just pick your favourite.. :)

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Trooper251,<br />I've had the Indoor/ Outdoor in my runabout for 5+ years and it still looks great. I got mine for free from a carpet company that was throwing away remnants. I did the same as Capt. Bob and pretty much just laid it in there, cause after I cut it and got the seats and so forth bolted back down, it was'nt going anywhere! And yes, it cleans very easily and does'nt stain. Also drains and drys very quickly. Cool on the feet, too.

Allen Henry

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all the great replies, I'm just having a tough time deciding, the durabake looks interesting though. I found some prices on the carpet here locally and it was a little more expensive than I had figured at about $7.50/ sq yard for the astro turf and around $5.50/sq yrd for the carpet. Decisions, Decisions, It's going to be tough.<br /><br />Thanks again,<br />TRP251

durk187

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hears another pic, mine is a 14' jon with i/o carpet. Cost near nothing to do.<br /><br />
carpet.jpg

SS182

Seaman

I've read posts on iboats for a couple of months.. I have learned a lot (Newbe to boat ownership) and wanted to bring up another option. Snap-in carpet... Trooper you may be able to combine both solutions. I'm sure someone has done this before on this site. I will be replacing the floor in my '93 Wellcraft 182ss this winter and considering this option. I hope we get some good posts. PS I grew up in Marietta/Lake Murray.

Allen Henry

Petty Officer 2nd Class

SS182,<br /><br />That's my back yard, nearly. I'm about ten min. away from Murray. Are these snap in carpets sold by a company or is this an Idea that you have come up with? That's an interesting thought. May even be able to use velcro. <br /><br />Duck your boat looks sharp. I've also got a 14' aluminum boat and was considering building a casting deck in the bow, like the one you have, until I got this bass boat. Yours looks great.<br /><br />Thanks for the replies,<br />TRP251