Midrange overheat...WOT OK

bluebyyou

Seaman Apprentice
My 1988 135 V6 (Searay) gets hot when I run it in the midrange but is OK when run at WOT? Where should I begin to troubleshoot????

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Midrange overheat...WOT OK

Replace water pump impeller first. More than likely it's getting weak and at that particular power range, cannot keep up. Also, the faster you go, more water is naturally "Forced" into the water intakes, which may account for your overheat problem going away at high speed.

bluebyyou

Seaman Apprentice

Is the impeller job very complicated on these motors? Seems like dropping the foot could be tough.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

If you have a Manual and a helper,( To help lift it off and put it back on) it will go fine. You can always post back here if you get stuck on something. Not a bad job to do. You really should learn how to do it for the future, as it should be replaced every couple of years or so. Really, it's just a matter of unbolting it and disconnecting the shift rod and dropping it down. Putting it back on can be smooth or tricky. Depends on how it goes. But it always goes back on with some patience. Basic hand tools is all you need.