9.9 trolling speed

streadway

Seaman
i have a 2003 merc 9.9 4 stroke.it trolls to fast,i do not want to lower the idle rpm's i'm afraid of effecting the oil pressure.i don't want to change the prop.the one on it is just right for all other purposes.my problem is that my boat is light in weight.is it safe to use a trolling plate or other type of device to slow the boat down,or will it cause over heating.THANKS

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: 9.9 trolling speed

Yes, it would be safe to use a trolling plate on your motor. You could always use a "Drift Sock" or even a small bucket tied onto the back of the boat to slow you down. This small one from cabalas is rated for lower HP motors. You would need to order the "Small" one.<br /><br />
i010961sq01.jpg
<br /><br />The Happy Troller Fixed Position Trolling Plate <br />Perfect trolling speed doesn't necessarily mean the addition of an expensive trolling motor. Make this fixed-position trolling plate a simple but extremely effective part of your fishing strategy. In the up position, the plate acts as a stabilizer, smoothing out the ride in rough water and reducing porpoising and cavitation. In the down position, it serves as a brake so you can maintain the ideal trolling speed. Constructed of the highest quality stainless steel and marine aluminum with a clear, anodized aluminum finish. <br />Models: <br />Small - Fits outboard motors through 50 hp <br />Large - Fits I/O's plus all outboards 50 hp and larger <br /><br /> cabelas<br />Put "Happy Troller" in search.