4 stroke performance

rlebla4

Cadet
I have a 60 hp merc 4stroke. It seems a little sluggish out of the hole. A friend tells me this is normal due to the longer stroke of the 4 compared to the 2str. It takes a while for this thing to rev. Is he correct?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 4 stroke performance

Hello<br /> dont know about a longer stroke but its usually due to half the power strokes of the 4 stroke verses the 2 stroke. a 2 stroke mortor has a power stroke everytime the piston goes to TDC. the 4 stroke is every other time. therefor at any given rpm the 4 stroke piston goes up and down without adding power and including piston ring tension it actually robs power. that is why if you match large heavy hulls with 2 to 4 stroke comparisons the 2 stroke goes faster on acceleration. I think as time goes by we will have better gear case ratios and better props that will be specific to the power and torque curves of a 4 stroke. good luck and keep posting :)

The Marine Doctor

Commander
Re: 4 stroke performance

Rodbolt...I do not know if you have heard this from Mercury or not...but Superchargers are on the way for the 4 stroke Technology.<br /><br />TMD