Rectifier or Regulator ?

JohnnyS

Seaman Apprentice
87' 150 Black Max<br /><br />Putting out HIGH voltage - over 16.6 volts. This is making my electronics very unhappy.<br /><br />After running the boat for a few minutes, the voltage starts climbing quickly. As soon as I throtle back to idle the voltage drops back to a 'normal' level.<br /><br />So whats wrong the rectifier or the voltage regulator?<br /><br />Is there a way to test these? I'd hate to have to buy one or the other and not solve the problem.<br /><br />Thanks in advance - John

JohnnyS

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Rectifier or Regulator ?

Thanks TMD.<br /><br />I was looking around and found the Rectifier. Right next to it is what I thought was the Regulator, but it turned out to be the Solonoid.<br /><br />In looking a schematic for the ingnition plate, I can see where the rectifier & solonoid go, but the Regulator is off to one side and I don't see where it should be or where I should find it. <br /><br />Any ideas :confused: <br />Thanks John

The Marine Doctor

Commander

Just keep following yellow wires...they will lead you to the Regulator. The regulator should be down and to the right of the electronics.<br /><br />TMD

Jerry M.

Seaman

I had this problem and it was the regulator. The guy who owned the boat before me upgraded to a red stator and never changed the regulator. The red stator requires a regulator/rectifier in the same box. Charging volts should be 14.5 tops.<br />Like Doc says, follow the yellow wires. They should go to your rectifier first.<br /><br />Jerry

JohnnyS

Seaman Apprentice

Update...<br /><br />I replaced the Voltage regulator and the problem was solved! :) Of course it had to be the more expensive part ($140) vs the rectifier which would only have cost about $20-30. But the problem is gone and I cn sleep better and worry less about frying my electronics & cooking my batts.<br /><br />Thanks to all for the help. :cool: <br />John