Boat cover questions

subkron

Cadet
Bought my first boat earlier this year and it came w/ a Taylor canvas cover. I have a support pole so the water doesn't pool on it, but it still gets through even in a rather light rain. The floor, upohlstery and hatches are always wet.<br /><br />What is the best material to keep a boat covered? Should the fabric breath (obviously this one breathes way too much) or not? Is this normal for covers and I should expect the boat to always be wet(?) - seems like a mildew & rot problem in the long run.<br /><br />Any advice is appreciated.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Boat cover questions

Hi, Subkron.<br /><br />Have you tried a spray-on water repellant? That works for me. I treat my covers yearly.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

tjthorson

Seaman

Well, I am sure I am in the minority on this, but for storing in my driveway and winter, I use a $20 Walmart poly tarp. I just buy a new one every year since the sun weakens them. I just bungeed it to the trailer over the canvas tarp. Kept my old Bayliner nice and dry (and that boat used to rot if the humidity was over 80%!

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

The best boat cover I have ever owned is my current one: a Road Runner Sundura polyester marine fabric. It's five years old and still looks like new with no signs of wear or sun damage. Bought it from Boat/US for about $120, as I recall.