Shift shaft pulled up when lower unit was dropped

robtmyer

Cadet
It pushes back down does not engage anything.<br />Please don't tell me lower unit has to be torn totaly apart. This is a 1972 Merc 650.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
Re: Shift shaft pulled up when lower unit was dropped

Okay, I won't use those words...but last summer I found milky lube in my lower unit (73 Merc 500). Took it to my boat guy. The "kid" in the shop said he could replace the leaking shift shaft seal in a few minutes. He pulled the shaft out, replaced the seal and put the shaft back...exactly what you ARE NOT supposed to do. His dad, a shop mech, had to fix it for me by tearing into the lower and putting things right again. Just had the entire lower unit resealed for $300. I think your hosed bro.

robtmyer

Cadet

Thanks tim Mc I think tou are right. one my lube was milky white seals are bad I would think.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

After I ditched the father-son mech team, I found a mech who pressure tested and vacuum tested mine. That tells you where the problem lies, in reference to seals. Turned out the original driveshaft on mine was pitted just enough to keep the water pump seal from sealing. So we had to send the shaft out to a machinist. He built it up and then milled it back down to original specs....that was almost $100 of the $300 it cost me. Hope you are luckier than I. Good luck.

CU2NITE

Petty Officer 1st Class

What is the proper way to change a shift shaft seal?<br />CU<br /><br />------------------<br />RUNNING THE MOTOR WHILE LISTENING TO THE HORN WILL MAKE YOU MORN!!

The Marine Doctor

Commander

CU2NITE you are still fussing with that seal?<br /><br />Just pop it out and press a new one in.<br /><br />As for the shift shaft being pulled out, the case must be taken apart.<br /><br />TMD

CU2NITE

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do I need that special tool just to put the seal in? The way I understood it was I would have to pull the shift shaft to replace the seal.<br />CU<br /><br />---------------<br />RUNNING THE MOTOR WHILE LISTENING TO THE HORN WILL MAKE YOU MORN!!

The Marine Doctor

Commander

Yes...you need the special tool to remove the shifter bushing. <br /><br />The question put forth was how do you change the seal.<br /><br />TMD

CU2NITE

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Doc I'm back on the right track. Pull bushing, seal is on bushing, don't pull shift shaft, need that special tool.<br />CU<br /><br />---------------------<br />RUNNING THE MOTOR WHILE LISTENING TO THE HORN WILL MAKE YOU MORN!!