Major Repair

Thuggboy

Cadet
Well folk’s looks like I'm going to be doing a lot more than re-covering seats. I took the day to take some of my co-workers out on the lake; we planned on doing some fishing. We left early this morning and the fog was dense. On the way down a deer crosses the road in front of my Jeep. It was hard to see the deer for the fog, so I was around 100 feet away when I spotted him. I tried to stop the car with out loosing control, but stopping a Jeep with a trailer and a boat going 30 on a wet road is almost impossible. I maintained control of the Jeep and missed the deer, but in the process of all that my boat had been jarred loose from the trailer, as I was sliding forward the trailer was sliding sideways. The boat finally broke loose from its strap and was "gracefully" launched off the cliff into the nearby train track. It took 5 hours and a crane to retrieve the boat. It suffered major scratches and a few dents. I have an outstanding loan and would like to repair the boat myself. Where do I start?!<br /><br />
boat.jpg

RICKRICK1

Ensign
Re: Major Repair

OH that hurt. Guess I would start by checking to ensure the hull is still structually sound. Are there any holes and how big, how much damage to hull? Did the motor break loose has this weakened any stress points. Hope it is not as serious as the picture looks, boats can be very forgiving sometimes.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

I think I would start by contacting your insurance company. Many things could be wrong that are not obvious by just looking at it. You will need to have a competent Marine Mechanic look at the Motor and integrety of the hull. Sorry that happened to ya! Really spoils a good day! Good Luck!

Thuggboy

Cadet

The structure of the boat appears to be fine; there are two holes (gashes), fairly small. I’m battling with the insurance company as we speak; they are trying to say it was my fault because the boat might not have been properly tied down.<br />But other than a few major scratches she appears to be ok. The engine is fine other then some scratched paint.

Thuggboy

Cadet

I didnt hit the deer, hence my battle. :mad: <br />I guess it would been better to just plow through it.

crab bait

Captain

HOLEY MOLEY ..MAN-O-MAN...BOY-O-BOY..<br />look what ya gone & did now...<br /><br />if that's all the damage you say there is,, then it's a piece-o-cake to fix...<br /><br />but 'take it easy' ... let 'things' cool down alittle.. see what the insurance co. will do.. if nothin',,, maybe get someone to atleast look at it .. to essay it,, to make sure..<br /><br />if the damage is how you say ,,, we can hook-you-up & get you goin' real quick..<br /><br />i do want to say .. comin' from me a darn good prize winnin' amature photographer .. that picture is excellant..!! it really is .. with the fog & everythin' & the road has an old wharf look to it..it really is an awlsome shot..!!!<br /> <br />by-the-way ,GORD... what did the 'crane' set ya back ..??? always curious about that..

flashback

Captain

Man, you talk about rotten luck! If all the damage you have is a few small gashes and scratches, even small holes, the count yourself lucky. if you can pull the floor, I would like to see what shape the stringers and frames are in. if they are ok, then you have a chance, but if not, then you will have some major rebuilding to do. though not impossible... on this forum, you can find a remedy for most all ailments..........good luck.......

sloopy

Commander

OUCH, you got to take care of *****s, they will take more money if you don't