looking for year of mercury 175 motor

wilswe70

Cadet
hi i was told this motor was a 80.5 mercury 175 black max. i found a site(not american) and put the serial # in and it said it was a 79. is this correct and how reliable is this motor. it starts and runs strong (59 mph on water)but because of the age and not knowing the history other then the fact that it is very clean and appears well cared for i am wondering if during the winter i should just send it in to be rebuilt. i have a f4riend that said he would do it for around 1200. does this seem fair and should i do it or just keep running it as its not broke. the serial # is 5394565. hope to here from some one ....thx in advance, bill

CU2NITE

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: looking for year of mercury 175 motor

Why fix whats not broke? It may run good for another 10 years if you take good care of her. Check compression if this looks good throw the fishing poles in and forget about spending 1200!<br />Good luck.<br />CU<br /><br />------------------<br />RUNNING THE MOTOR WHILE LISTENING TO THE HORN WILL MAKE YOU MORN!!

The Marine Doctor

Commander

I am with CU. Let it break down before you get it repaired. @ 59mph is still sounds strong.<br /><br />TMD

KCLOST

Commander

Savannah,<br /><br />Yea, have some fun with that thing before you go and do anything to it... A rebuild probably isn't going to make any difference anyway....<br />You keep worrying about the speed... You're going faster than I like to with my 175..