1988 MERCURY 50HP ELECTRICS HASSLES

danglingdino

Recruit
G'day all,<br />Hoping someone might be able to shed some light on my problem with the electrics in my 2 stroke, 3 cylinder 1988 Mercury 50hp outboard. I realise that the only predictable thing about electrics is their unpredictability, however it seems alittle weird to me that within about 6 months, firstly I had the trigger replaced because their was intermittent spark to cylinder 2, and then the switch box was replaced because there was intermittent spark to cylinder 2. The compression is fine on that cylinder and at the moment everything seems ok - but would it be unusual to have both of these to go at the same time basically.<br />Appreciate any views/advice.<br />Dino

The Marine Doctor

Commander
Re: 1988 MERCURY 50HP ELECTRICS HASSLES

It is possible for this to happen. The trigger is to send the signal to the power pack to trip a switch to send current to the coil. If the trigger fails to function the Stator continues to send its current to the Powerpack. This could inturn cause the capacitor to have added stress and eventually fail.<br /><br />An example. Leave a garden hose in the hot sun, with one end plugged and the water on full. Intime the hose will fail.<br /><br />TMD

Trent

Captain
Re: 1988 MERCURY 50HP ELECTRICS HASSLES

As was said above. Its not unusal for that to happen.