How much L/U Oil Merc50 ?

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander
Good morning Iboaters (Late Sat nite here :D )<br /><br />Had my boat out on Port Phillip Bay Melbourne today, and upon return,I drained my L/U on my 81 Merc50.It came out clean and green, with apparently no water or metal as far as I can see.<br />Anyone know how much it takes ?? :confused: I know it was full because I squeezed some in a couple of days ago until it ran out of the vent hole (with no air) But only about 1 pint or 500ml came out over 30 minutes..<br />Maybe if I let it drip for a few hours,there may be more to come.. :confused: <br />The useless manual tells me nothing about volume of oil.. only "To fill until it runs out the vent hole"

The Marine Doctor

Commander
Re: How much L/U Oil Merc50 ?

Unicorn...sure fire way to know if it was still full or not.<br /><br />NO sign of water...it was full.<br /><br />If the oil is going to leak out..water is going to get in.<br /><br />That is if you put the gear oil through the bottom until it came out the top?<br /><br />TMD

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

Thanx TMD<br /><br />Hope advice is not double time on weekends :eek: :D <br /><br />Yeah, I know the drill.. but you wouldn't know how much to buy if you looked in the Clymer manual.. Coz it don't tell ya :confused: <br />Anyway, around 450ml or 15 Fluid ounces came out. I left it overnight in a glass jar and waited for something to float or sink.. but it looked unchanged. So I filled it up from the bottom. One thing that I found helpful were the pale blue gaskets that I put in a few weeks ago. They are easy to see in the recess even through the oil.

The Marine Doctor

Commander

When you buy your gear oil...do you buy it by the liter and install it with the pump supplied by Mercury..or do you buy the tubes?<br /><br />TMD

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

TMD<br /><br />I have a gallon stored away for top-up if needed (Haven't needed it yet). But they are sold here in a 500ml squeeze bottle. What I do, is remove both screws and let it all drain out.<br />fill one bottle right to the top and squeeze until oil comes out of the tip, expelling any air.<br />Stick it into bottom hole and slowly squeeze.When it is fully squeezed, I put bottom screw back in, top up the bottle and again squeeze until oil comes out top hole. Keep going until all air bubbles are gone, then insert seals and screws.<br />Couple of days later, add a bit more in case it has settled. Let about 10-20ml out the bottom for expansion..<br />Sounds pretty technical,and it's pretty messy, but a couple of times a year, I can live with it. :(