Lower unit is leaking

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Lower unit is leaking

Welcome to the forum fishsniper....<br /><br />If the oil, appears to be oil, looks like fresh gear lube, from the area it's coming from it looks like the shift shaft bushing seal is leaking. Have you checked the lower unit for water?

The Marine Doctor

Commander

That is definately the shiftshaft seal that is causing the oil leak.<br /><br />TMD

fishsniper

Cadet

Is that a pain to replace? I read how to do the air pressure trick and I plan on doing that before I winterize it. I have one more fishing tournament on Friday, if I fill it to the gills with lube do you think it will last a day too?

CU2NITE

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am haveing the exact same problem, get a hold of the Doc he will fix you up! Good luck<br />CU<br /><br />--------------------<br /><br />RUNNING THE MOTOR WHILE LISTENING TO THE HORN WILL MAKE YOU MORN!!

The Marine Doctor

Commander

You need a special tool to remove the shifter bushing. Once you have that its a snap.<br /><br />TMD

The Marine Doctor

Commander

Also...I might add...you can buy the tool and do the work yourself for less than the repair shop will charge to fix the problem.<br /><br />TMD

fishsniper

Cadet

It is definitly gear lube. I opened up the drain plug last night and pulled out half a beers worth of water before the oil came out. I filled it back up with oil and will have to take it apart when I winterize it in a month. What is that tool called? Do you know where a link is?

fishsniper

Cadet

It is definitly gear lube. I opened up the drain plug last night and pulled out half a beers worth of water before the oil came out. I filled it back up with oil and will have to take it apart when I winterize it in a month. What is that tool called? Do you know where a link is?

The Marine Doctor

Commander

The tool is avail only at a Mercury dealership, as far as I know.<br /> <br />It costs around $25.00 Canadian.<br /><br />TMD