Hummin Fish Finder

ungodly

Cadet
I wanted to take a quick moment to thank everyone for their help on my "FishFinder vs. DepthSounder" topic. Ultimately, I had bought the Humminbird Piranha 4 and installed the transducer before the last poster mentioned that the Humminbirds are notoriously crummy. Fortunately, the unit has performed quite well to this point (I don't know whether I got lucky, my hull shape is ideal for the transducer, or maybe they actually improved their product line), but I sure am glad it works! I went back and read some of the threads on the HBs - not exactly rave reviews. Anyway, thanks!!<br />Rich

KCLOST

Commander
Re: Hummin Fish Finder

I'm no expert on Fishfinders but I do have two Pirana 1's on my boat and am happy with them so far.

silverking

Seaman Apprentice

I also have a P-4 , its flawless and also resists and takes all kind of punishment..<br />For usd$84.00 its my kind of deal!!

martyscher

Petty Officer 1st Class

Saying Humminbirds are junk is kinda like saying "Fords are junk!". Which one, they only made a billion of them? I've seen Hbirds that over over 10 years old and work fine. <br /><br />They aren't as sophisticated as some other makes, but hey, were're talking 85 bucks here!<br /><br />I have an Xtreme 160, which works fine, unless the boat speed is over 10MPH. It may be because the transducer is a little loose.<br /><br />I can't find my install manual (my boat dealer installed it).<br /><br />Does anyone know if the transducer should be tight, or have some up-and-down movement?<br /><br />Thanks

Allen Henry

Petty Officer 2nd Class

martyscher,<br /><br />I'm fairly sure that the transducer should be fixed and have no movement. It's been a while since I mounted mine, but I followed the directions to a T and mine is tight.<br /><br />TRP251

crab bait

Captain

they should be tite but loose enuff that if it hits somethin' it'll/flip up....

rocks beware

Seaman

Martyscher, go to Humminbird's website and you can download the manual for your unit.