help with shift shaft!

johnrob

Cadet
Hi all<br /><br />I have a horrible problem with the lower end on my merc 650SS (about 1970). I took the lower end off and the shift shaft stayed in the upper end! :( . The shift mechanism is an early Cam-shift type 1<br /><br />No problem I thought - I'll just replace the impeller (which is why the lower end was removed in the first place) and stick the shaft back in again. <br /><br />Big problem is that I can't find any way of getting the shaft to re-engage with the shift cam inside the gearbox! <br /><br />The Seloc shop manual isn't much help as it only tells you how to re-assemble the shift shaft/cam after the entire gearbox has been stripped.<br /><br />Anyone know any 'tricks' or any other methods that will let me get the shift shaft connected again. - I don't really want to have to strip the gearbox down!<br /><br />BTW - I found the E clip that's supposed to stop the shaft coming out in the gearbox oil!<br /><br />Thanks

The Marine Doctor

Commander
Re: help with shift shaft!

You have a problem :( <br /><br />First..you will have to get the shift shaft removed from the engine if it is not already been done.<br /><br />Second..drain the oil from the gearcase. Remove the shifter carrier assembly. Look down into the hole and see if the Cam is still there. If it is you will be able to jossle the case around and get it into position to put the shifter back into place. <br /><br />If you cannot see the cam...you will have to disassemble the gearcase. <br /><br />TMD

johnrob

Cadet

thanks for the suggestions. I have already removed the shift shaft and carrier. If I poke around down in the gearbox with a long screwdriver I can 'feel' various edges and holes.<br /><br />Which side of the gearcase does the cam rest against normally (front, left or right)? This would help me to tilt the gearcase the 'right' way to get the cam back under the hole. The box is tuck in forward gear at present.

johnrob

Cadet

:) Fixed it!<br /><br />After much fiddling about with a wire I got the cam back under the shaft hole (it is easier if the lower unit is sitting with the prop shaft sticking straight up). The hole in the cam doesn't align exactly with the hole in the casing but a small tap on the end of the shift shaft seats it OK.<br /><br />Thanks for your help.