90 Merc. hard to restart

izuizme

Petty Officer 3rd Class
serial #b288620 3 cyl.motor from 1980's.Primer bulb does not get firm.There is a gas filter that looks just like a car oil filter in the fuel line between the tank and the motor.Even after the motor has warmed up and I am on the water it does not always start up quickly.It has started back up eventually, but only does so after repeated attempts and some combination of moving the fast idle lever to max and pumping the primer bulb. This is not safe as during this dely the boat often drifts a good distance out of control. :(

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: 90 Merc. hard to restart

Replace spin-on fuel/water seperator canister(filter), fuel line, bulb and fuel connectors. Definitly sounds like a fuel problem(Lack of it) or air leak in the fuel line or fitting. I have to ask, Are you using the choke when you try to re-start??

izuizme

Petty Officer 3rd Class

yes I am using the choke trying to get it restarted.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

OK, had to ask just in case. Try the other suggestions, as it not normal for the bulb not to firm up. The only other thing would be a float needle sticking partially open. But try the other methods first before tearing into the carbs. Does it run good after it gets going?

izuizme

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes it really,really does run good when I get it going.I will take your advice about filter and fuel lines.I recently rebuilt my merc.500's carb's.now it runs like a top. I got a rebuild kit, from my local marina and did the job myself.So I have some insight into it.I hope the diaphragm is not busted....Is there a test I can run to determine if the diaphragm is leaking.I suspect it may be the reason why the bulb does not firm up.I guess I would have to be isolated from other components by some method.I'd hate to replace parts that are not faulty,just to find out later that the problem is elsewhere in the system.

ZmOz

Captain

As allways I'm going to have to suggest you run some deep creep through your motor. Whether it works or not it should be done to clean out your engine, and it's relatively cheap. :D

izuizme

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My local boating stores are Boater's World & West Marine do U think I can find deep creep there?? and is this stuff approved of by marine engine manufactures..??

ZmOz

Captain

Deep creep pretty much can only be found at Napa stores. It was originally designed for Evinrude engines - but it turns out it works magic on almost any kind of engine. Do a search here for "Deep creep" or "seafoam" you will find tons of posts...every one of them describing how GREAT the stuff is. (Deep creep is just a spray version of seafoam)

izuizme

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OK,Alright U sure know how to make a point and have it backed up by everyone in the world. Thats some thing else to do, and sounds like a winner.THANKS ;)

izuizme

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ZmOz its sunday & I'm putting the deep creep thru the motor right now..!!!smoke smoke smoke

izuizme

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I took off the "tempo" primer bulb and replaced it with a "quicksilver" bulb. It firmed up right away.Then I noticed that the fuel connector part # 22-15781A 1 normally installed on merc's is not there, instead someone has used a straight nipple and two hose clamps.As shown My first reacton to seeing this was too put it back in stock condition. I already priced the parts at Doug Russell for about $25
1723nipple-thumb.jpg