work stand

fishndvm

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I recently acquired a rather heavy old Scott-Atwater 22hp engine, and I'd like to do a little work on it. It presently sits on the little light aluminum framed carrier, the kind that looks a little like a hand truck with a wooden crosspiece to mount the engine on. Sorry, I don't know what the proper name for this gadget is.<br /> In any case, I'll need to change the impeller at least, and whatever. Can anyone tell me what I can use to mount the engine on that will be strong and stable, elevated, and just allow me to get the job done without having to have the engine lay on it's side? As I don't do this professionally, I don't need an overly expensive gadget, but if there is some sort of commerecial device available, I'd appreciate someone telling me what that is. Or perhaps an idea for building something for the purpose. <br /> Thanks for your help.

boatsalotjay

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: work stand

I just made one out of fiberglass materials that took me just about 2 hours or so. Since you probably don't have access to the fiberglass I did, I'll tell you a good wood plan. Two 4x4 uprights (cut to the length you need), two 2x6s for the ground stabilizers and a two 2x6s for diagnols. Mount the 4x4s in the middle of two 5 foot 2x6s and make the diagnals to fit so they attach the uprights to the ground stabilizers. Then since you say its a heavy motor take a 2x6 (and if you want add a little plywood to make it thicker) and attach it with bolts (I used 1/2 inch) to the uprights at the hight you need, I also added another 2x6 below this so the motor doesn't hang as hard on the top one, but my motor is really heavy (234 lbs), and you might not want to. This is just what I built (except I used fiberglass) and it is extremely solid, and rather cheap to build. Hope that helps.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Here is mine, thats a 220-ish pound Homelite 55, I have also had my 270 pound Merc 1250 on it. Its just scrap 2x4s and plywood screwed together. I have castors on the bottom so it can be wheeled around, and there is room for a trashcan for running purposes. Good luck...<br /><br />
homelite551.jpg
<br /><br />
mercstand1.jpg

fishndvm

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks a million you guys. I can't wait to get started on my new side project!

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I didn't go though all that effort, I found an easier answer. (although it should be said that the lady in my life was not as fond of the answer as I was.)<br /><br />I got a nice solid piece of lumber and bolted it between two of the uprights on our back verandah.<br /><br />I now have a nice spot to mount all three of my heavier outboards. Its not too mobile though.<br /><br />Regards<br /><br />Franki