starter selenoid problems

teezjahesh

Recruit
hello everyone,i heard many good things about this board and looking forward to your help.<br />i am new to boating,so excuse my not knowing what parts are called. my problemis i bought a new boat this summer and it worked fine until last weekend. the electric starter on my 75hp 1990 mercury ob spins, but doesn't engage the flywheel. if i remove the cover and move the part that has teeth and engages the flywheel, after a couple tries it engages, sometimes it just works fine, but when hot it appears to just spin. what do i need to do? thanks in advance.<br />ps. i looked at previous posts, but i am afraid i didn't understand some of the tech terms, can someone please help me in plain words. i also bought a manual and not mech challanged. thanks

Re: starter selenoid problems

Hey teez.No expert here but had a similar problem on 93 115 mariner that turned out to be just a bad connection on motor side of battery cable.I would clean all,confirm good battery,lubricate starter shaft.If no help then use manual to check starter to spec.

The Marine Doctor

Commander

You are probebly in need of a new bendix.<br /><br />Or<br /><br />Lube the old one up.<br /><br />TMD

teezjahesh

Recruit

thanks doc. thanks jw. i cleaned all contact points and wd40'd all visible spots. took it out for a quick spin, started right up,20 min later shut it off. when i went back to start it up, same thing, spins but no contact with the flywheel :mad: any other ideas? could it be that i need a new starter (can't afford). i read some past posts bout brushes, could that be my problem? :confused: thanks for the help.

The Marine Doctor

Commander

If the starter seems to spin fast enough...the BENDIX is the part that is giving you the problem...the bendix is the part that engages the flywheel.<br /><br />TMD

teezjahesh

Recruit

thanks doc for your quick reply. does this mean i need a new bendix? i can see its the part with a spring underneath it. when on the water and it doesn't start, i sorta rotate the (bendix)N i guess until it starts moving up, and then it engages, it sure does spin fast enough, but doesn't go up to engage. thanks for all your patience folks, i am new to this.