Prop Selection

sirbenbear

Recruit
I have 1992 Evinrude Model #E45RCLENM Serial #G03120841. 45hp tiller handle What is the best way to install a tach, so I can monitor my engine RPM? I have borrowed a handheld wireless, but found it difficult to use, when running WOT and trying to hold the tach. Therefore I don't know how accurate the reading was. I installed a Sen Dec but it doesn't seem to be that accurate. Again what is the best way to install a permanent tach? I am newby, this is my first boat! Any and all help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance.

Bobby O

Cadet
Re: Prop Selection

Two questions: why do you need the tach, and what do you gain running WOT. I hope it is not for a long run.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by Bobby O:<br /> Two questions: why do you need the tach, and what do you gain running WOT. I hope it is not for a long run.
What do you mean, a Tach is about the single most important quage you can have. It lets you know how to correctly prop your engine, and if things are running correctly. :eek:

sirbenbear

Recruit

The MFG states max 5500RPM, so I need a tach to determine my RPM, so I can establish the proper pitch for my prop, that way I won't destroy the power head.

Boilermaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

BobbyO>>>why do you hope its not for a long run that he is running WOT??? other then fuel milage, and if he is proped correctly>>>he should be able to run full throttle all day if he chooses. 2 cycles like rpms.

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

I got a Tiny Tach for my tiller steered 40 Johnson. It works well even though I got the wrong model, so it shows double my rpm. They have a website & sell direct. Ask them which model you need. It also has an hour meter built in.