Switch box wire frayed

I have a 85 hp 1975 Mercury, s/n: 4722152. The s/n tells me according to a manual that I have the Thunderbolt ignition without distributor. Question is this, on the switch box, there are eight wires going down the right side of lugs, apparently two for each cylinder (in between each pair of wires are the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4). On the number 4 set, the top wire of the two if frayed in a few spots and a little corrosion on the strands that are exposed. Can anyone tell me what this wire is/does, and where to get a replacement, and can I just get a chunk of wire from anywhere if it is close to the same gauge and replace it myself, or do I need to actually replace it with original manufacturer's?

profish00

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Switch box wire frayed

I would trace it back to were it is good an make a splice with a new wire and hook it back up, just make sure you have a good connection at the splice and use liquid electrical tape to seal the splice to prevent corosion.

Profish00- Can I use just any copper stranded wire of close to the same gauge than? and where can I get liquid electrical tape (never heard of, but sounds like cool stuff, my boater's supply houses' are all closed being Sunday) I am used to splicing home wiring, twisting the ends, would this be acceptable, seems like it would be better maybe to use the little splices that you insert each end of the wire into and crimp down?

profish00

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Any Hardware store has it as well as Academy Any conection shall work as long as its good, by the way this is just a regular wire conection I wouldnt do this on a spark plug type wire and if you see both ends of the wire "IE " its a short in house wire replace the hole wire with the arpox same guage wire.

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

I have repaired some trigger wires on my Merc using the standard crimper and joiners (plastic covered). Try to keep the amps the same<br />and the colour (In case you sell it to some unsuspecting person).<br />The Liquid lectric http://www.mdramazon.com/44.htm comes in a tube and is good stuff, but you can also get a rubber type tape that looks like plastic insulation tape<br />but when used on a lume, binds together to form a rubber casing. Called Scotch® 2228 Rubber Mastic Tape.

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

It's not THAT important, but in your manual, in the electricals, the wiring would be rated to a certain ampage.<br />So obviously, you wouldn't put a tiny 2mm .5Amp wire in there to replace the frayed one.<br />So when you go wire shopping, the electronics store has them marked at say 10A , 15A etc. Usually the thickness/no strands gives you a good indication. Make sure the connection is GOOD and solid. My first attempt wasn't and the motor was running on 3 cyl until I re-connected it.<br />Attached is a pic of my Merc with new switchbox and note (a green wire-should be white/blk) that I had to replace the failed repair that didn't join properly. Those wires go to the trigger.<br /> http://www.myfishingpictures.com/img/004741.jpg Black stuff circled is Liqiud tape (4 colours available)