Tilt & Trim won't work , Why ? 1993 Mariner

cootersplace

Seaman
I know it had a bad switch ( still trying to locate one ) in the throttle handle .It would start running on its own so I am wondering if one started running and you did not shut it down in time , what would it mess up ? This thing sat for 4 years and I am trying to straighten everything out . I can make the trim motor run at the motor, but it won't do anything. I blocked it up and pulled the plug and its got fluid , so how do I tell what is wrong ? Can just the pump be rebuilt if the motor is OK ? I don't have any fluid leaks and the motor looks new .This is a 1993 115 hp 4 cyl. Thanx in advance for any help.

kkirby

Cadet
Re: Tilt & Trim won't work , Why ? 1993 Mariner

I am currently troubleshooting a 1993 Mariner 135 that belongs to my father in law. We were out two weeks ago and when we got to a rig 16 miles out and stopped we could smell something burning. It ended up being the tilt/trim motor. A new motor was installed and we went out Saturday night. While out I noticed that at one point I hit hte trim up button on the throttle handle and when I released it the motor still continued trimming up. I hit the switch again quickly to stop its progress. I played with it a little and discovered that you had to be very careful with the switch position. I always thought the switch was a momentary up/down whereas the motor would not run in either direction unless you are physically pressing the switch up or down. Not the case! If I pressed too hard the motor would continue in the requested direction until I stopped it from doing so. I believe this is how the motor burned up last trip. The switch was stuck in the down position and was telling the motor to go down the entire trip out to the rig. :(:(

By the way. Do you know the correct way to fill the hydraulic fluid on this tilt motor?