75 85HP Long start, Die at WOT, Good idle

68ltdwagon

Cadet
I have a 1975 mercury 850 4 cylinder. It would hesitate a little bit when you put the throttle all the way down so I put in new spark plugs and a fuel pump diaphram. Now you have to turn it over for at least 30sec before it will start and then it will idle really good even in fast idle. but as soon as you put it in gear and give it some gas it will kill. I can not figure this one out. any help?

greasemonkeyozi

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 75 85HP Long start, Die at WOT, Good idle

I had just posted a guide to someone with a similar problem. I'll copy and paste it here so you can go through the same troubleshooting procedure.<br />(1)Disconnect your fuel line from your carborators. Have someone try to start your motor while you look to see if the fuel pump is forcing fuel to your carbs. If not, you can rebuild your fuel pump for cheap. A fuel pump diapfram sould be around $4.00 to $10.00. (2) Inspect all of your fuel lines from your fuel tank to your carbs for any type of possible fuel leak. If there is, that means your fuel system is taking on air.Look real close to where your fuel line connects to your motor. Sometimes, the o ring goes bad in those things. It will be leaking if it was. Make sure your bulb is working right also. You can buy all these fuel line parts at wallmart to save you some running around. Also, it wouldnt hurt to put hose clamps on all the connections to make sure everything is sealed.(3) disconnect your spark plug wires from your plugs. While someone tries to start your motor, hold the plug wires close to the motor and look to see if its getting any spark. Check all of them. (4) Could have trash in your carbs. If everything else seems ok, remove your carbs from your motor. Take them apart and look for any kind of trask. Take your needle out, and blow on the fuel line, or where the fuel line connects to. You should be able to blow through there. If not, thats your problem. You can use a wire or something to clean that out. Its alwats a good idea to take the carbs off once every year to clean them out. Spray the hell out of them with some carborator cleaner. If you damage the gaskets upon removel, you need to replace them.<br />Let us know how it goes, Good Luck.