How practical is a "starter rope" for a 115 HP Johnson?

kshelly

Petty Officer 2nd Class
According to my parts manual, my 1974, 115 HP Johnson O/B has a "starter rope" available for pull starting. I didn't get the rope with my engine and was wondering if it's something I should carry on the boat in case of emergency (dead battery, failed electric starter, etc.). I guess I'm curious to know if it's possible to pull start such a large engine without pulling your arm out of the socket!!!! On a related issue, if a starter rope does work, where, exactly, does it wind?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: How practical is a "starter rope" for a 115 HP Johnson?

Hi Erau95,<br /> Actually, it's not as hard as you'd think to pull start one of those motors. You're only pulling over one cylinder at a time, so it works fairly well. Granted, it's not like starting a 4hp, but it is possible if you've got some weight and muscle behind it. Obviously, it works best if the motor is in good tune, and the battery has run dead due to forgetting to turn off the lights/radio/etc., and not because it was run down by trying to start it.<br /> The rope wraps around the groove in the flywheel's outer lip, just above the ring-gear. There should be a small angled slot on one side that the knotted end slides into. The rope wraps clockwise....<br />- Scott

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Erau95, I used to pull start my Johnson 50HP V4 (70.7 cu in) easily. It was low compression, but the displacement was near your motor's. It had a recoil starter built in, and that does make it convenient. It also started easy. I would pull the handle with both hands to my chest. This gave a short, quick burst of spin to the flywheel, but it worked well. I tried to start my 6cylinder Merc inline with a rope, one time. I couldn't pull it fast enough to have a prayer of starting it! If I were you I would rig up a rope and try it!<br /><br />You can make a rope for that motor out of some 1/4" or 3/8" solid braid nylon rope and a chunk of wood (handle) with a hole in it's center. Thread the rope through the handle and knot it. Check the motor's flywheel for a place to insert a knot and create one on the other end of the rope. make the rope long enough to go around the flywheel about 3 times.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have rope started many big outboards, including a carbed Johnny 150hp V6. <br /><br />It is not a piece of cake, but if a scrawny old fella like me can do it most adults can.<br /><br />Don't try it on a computer controlled engine unless the battery is fully charged, though. The computer will not operate EFI or ignition unless it has full battery voltage.

ZmOz

Captain

A much, MUCH better idea is to carry one of those portable jump start batteries. I don't leave the dock without one, and I've needed it more than once. You can often find them on sale for around $25, and they're pretty usefull for other things too.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I remember reading a post here by a guy who claimed the he could hand start a V4 with his hands only - he grabbed the flywheel and gave it a quick snap if I remember correctly.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

SoLittle,<br /><br />I wonder how many fingers that guy has? :D

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

I used to rope start my inline 115 quite often. It usually caught and ran on the 3rd pull.

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

I always carry a rope to start my V-4 and occasionly remember to thank God that I've never had to actually use it.

radsrh

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have used my rope on a 90Hp Honda 2 times last fall when the temps started going down and the old battery could not do her job. It was not a bad as I thought and it saved the day both times, make a rope and give it a try it's the only way you will know. :D

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Somewhere in the back of my file cabinet (normally known as the brain)....I came across an article about pull starting an outboard with more than two cylinders. The aritcle suggested that if one or two spark plugs was removed, it would be easeier to start and at least get warmed up to the point that the other spark plugs could be replaced and the engine pull started with all plugs in place. Makes some sense. But then so does having an extra battery or battery switch connected to the trolling motor batteries for emergiencies.

green4themoney

Petty Officer 1st Class

i have mmanual start for my 1992 40 hp in-line 4 engine, and it pulls over real smooth!, not to mention the outboard having very good compression :)

green4themoney

Petty Officer 1st Class

its a merc by the way...... gotta love those mercs

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Pull started my old Hi-Comp Merc XS150 when the battery went too weak to start...fired right up. And if you don't have a rope, use a ski line or dock lines.

swist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I think it depends on whether the engine is ready to fire up immediately. The two times I tried to rope start my Johnson 115, it was after a couple weeks away where the battery ran down because I forgot to turn something off. So the engine was dead cold and I could not for heaven or hell rope-start it (and I'm pretty strong). If the battery is good, it cranks for 4-5 seconds before firing - that's a LOT of pulls to get the same number of revs.<br /><br />I'm always amused by the instructions in the service manuals to disconnect plugs so some accidental 2 degree rotation won't start the engine. I'm sure it is good advice as long as there is any small chance, but not bloody likely!

ivar

Petty Officer 1st Class

A buddy of mine claims to have kick-started a Johnson 85 V4...! <br />His battey was shot , so he first tried starting it with a rope. It worked.. almost. After pulling for 15 minutes , with the engine almost starting he got pretty exhausted - and then pretty mad. So as he stands at the back of the boat he snaps and delivers a kick to the front of the engine. The other foot slips and he hits the ring gear on the flywheel , the sole catches - and the engine fires right up! <br />He's so surprised that the engine starts that he almost fell overboard. Even if it might not be true , I still think its a pretty funny story... :D

Boilermaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Would an engine being pulled with electronic ignition, or CD ignition, start with a dead battery ??? Or only a points & condenser type ignition work???

I have a 1970 Johnson 115, and it IS possible to rope start. It did make me, however, wish I hadn't stopped working out. It'll make ya sweat!<br /><br />What made it tough was that it stalled in forward gear and would not kick out until it started. So with the added drag of the drive gears, it was a workout.

bh357

Chief Petty Officer

The 1962-63 Merc 1000 comes with a recoil start in the upper cowl. Oh, and thankfully it also has an electric starter. Haven't pull started mine ('63) yet, but I may try it just for the heck of it once I get her running reliably.

orca

Chief Petty Officer

G.Day. We used to rope start V6 Merc pretty regularly in the workshop with no problems, however when you are out at sea, waves crashing over the bows, storm coming up, getting dark, kids crying, wife looking mean, taking on water etc I think I will stick to the battery.