Stilleto Prop Question?>DHADLEY HELP

Boilermaker

Petty Officer 1st Class
A little Background>>>1971 18Ft Modfied Vee hull/Deep bow? 7'+ beam >>>Fresh 1978 Johnny 115.<br />Engine originally had OMC Factory ALUM. 13.5 x 19 prop (uncupped) Had good holeshot & pulled skier up on 1 ski.>>Spun the hub & installed newer Johnson cuped ALUM.14.25 x 19>>killed holeshot & only 4800RPM W.O.T.<br />Switched to a used ALUM. 14.25 x 17 cupped factory prop> good performance 5300rpm WOT.<br /> Got STILLETO #21317>>13.25 x 17. This has killed the holeshot. WOT is bearly 5000 with the trim way up, almost venting! Once it gets on plane it goes like hell, but getting on plane takes a while. The Engine hight is all the way down with the bottom of the cav plate abt 1/4" below the hull bottom.<br />The boat has been fully loaded every time with the stilleto, but about the same load as when I used the 14.25 x17 Alum.<br />Will raising the "X FACTOR" help with the holeshot??? I know the rpms should be higher, but the undercarrage of the boat is saturated & I plan on redoing the stringers & deck in the spring. I figure I am carring a few hundred pounds of water in the wood. That alone should increase a lot of the performance.<br />I'm just wondering why such a differance between the Stilleto Prop 13.25 x17 & the Factory 14.25 x 17???

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Stilleto Prop Question?>DHADLEY HELP

Neat, huh? Its hard to believe how hard a Stiletto bites. A Turbo's got even more bite. <br /><br />Anyway, you are correct. The motor can go up. Probably quite a lot. Reducing the drag will improve the holeshot as well as top end. You'll be amazed. <br /><br />Keep us posted. It'll be neat to hear how you make out. Good luck!

Boilermaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

So, What do you think>>>2 holes up????<br />Keep in mind I don't want to loose rough water hold, remember, I fish in the coastal LONG ISLAND NY waters (Freeport). And I will be paying someone to lift the engine for me.<br />What exactly do you mean by "BITE"??? Is this just less slip/loss then other props??? or Something else???<br />As always, Thanks for your reply!

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Dhadley,<br /> Just noticed the updated location in your profile. Good to see even a cynical sense of humor under the greatest of strife. I hope all will work out for you and recovery is swift.

walleyehed

Admiral

BM, It's as simple as loosening the lower bolts, removing the top bolts, with the eng. secured so it can't fall, and lifting the engine and reinstall bolts (with sealer of course).<br />My experience with a deep-V 18ft'r and a 115 ended up performing best in the third set of holes from top.<br />I can't speak for DH, but one hole at a time and test is best...I'd hate to see you go too far and have to pay to have it put back down one.<br />The "Bite" (increase of)would be less slippage, and yes, more efficient.

Boilermaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Guys!!!,<br />I will increase the engine height>>>And hope to improve the hole shot & top end. do you think a strong tree branch & 2 Ton come-a-long would work???>>>I figure its just cheeper to pay someone then to rent an engine cherrypicker lift. I just got the boat in the water the first time this year>>I've been laid up, recovering from spinal surgery I had back in March.<br /><br />I also want to echo BoatBouy's best wishes for a speedy recovery to all the Residents of the Port Charles area & across Fl.!!!<br /> DHADLEY,I hope you and your family are safe and were spared any great losses!!!!<br />Thanks Again<br />Jim

walleyehed

Admiral

BM, don't mean to post in place of Dhadley, but a tree will work...so will setting a 2X4 under the skeg and jacking the trailer up after removing the bolts, but still secure the engine in some manner, as it is hard to pick up laying on the ground.....<br />BTW, Dhadley's trees all have pulleys on the branches... :D <br />The experience I've seen on this size eng/boat, each hole up has been close to 100-150 RPM per hole. Good luck, and I hope DH doesn't get mad at me for steppin' on his grounds... :D

Boilermaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Ken>>>ALL ADVICE WELCOME!<br />What do you use to seal the bolts>>>looks like clear GE Silicone now. Is caulking better??? or maybe 3M 4500???<br />Do you clear the old sealer out & fill the bolt holes from the inside, out?<br />Do you need to reseal ALL the bolt holes or just the top ones??? And, is it ok to reuse the bolts & nuts after a few times???<br />I have read where old bolts loose there strength due to stretch.<br />>>>Sorry if this all seems rudimentary, but I don't want to ruin my transome!<br />Maybe I should look into some smart tabs too???<br />Thansk again!!!<br />Jim

walleyehed

Admiral

We use "lifecaulk" marine hardware sealer in white.<br />You don't "need" to clear the old sealer out as long as it's sealed properly this time as well.<br />Actually, the bottom bolts are the most important to seal due to the fact they are under the water-line when not on plane.<br />If you use the lifecaulk, let it set after you tighten the bolts, as it cleans up much easier after it sets up some.<br />As for the bolts, as long as they aren't corroded, or the threads show signs of gaulding, they should be ok, but not a bad time to change them if they've been there several years.<br />If we were talking about cylinder head bolts, I'd say yes, they do stretch.<br />I do like the smart-tabs, but I would suggest getting the eng heigth correct first.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Jim, thanks for the encouragement. My family did OK. Everybodys OK and we're putting a daily routine back together. <br /><br />Right now that includes getting more supplies for Frances. Ugh!

Boilermaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well>>it turns out not to be a prop problem. I installed the old Johnson Aluminum prop I used last year and it was even worse then the Stilleto! I could not get the boat to plane until I tilted the engine way up & started to Vent the prop a bit>>>then the engin got into its powerband and it would start to plane. I could only get abt 4400rpm. <br />I had the engine tuned by a local shop before I ever put the boat in the water 2 weeks ago & I think this guy messed up on the Ignition Timing.>>I will be taking it back to him on Tuesday when he opens up again.>>>Lesson learned>>>ONE change at a time! :eek:

Boilermaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, it turned out to be a broken trigger lead for one of the ignition coils>>>I may have broken it with the cowl...I don't know>>>He didn't charge me to trouble shoot or repair though. :D <br />I will test it tommarrow with the old prop first & see where I'm at.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Glad to hear! Keep us posted.