merc 500-50 hp WON'T START

izuizme

Petty Officer 3rd Class
OK back to the problem ..have good sparks,110 compression on all 4 cylinders,new coils,rebuilt carbs,replaced fuel lines,and primer bulb,STILL WON'T FIRE UP....please advise

paddy87

Cadet
Re: merc 500-50 hp WON'T START

Having similiar problem with same motor, thinking it might be the timing-carb sinc, not sure but going to find out this weekend.

greasemonkeyozi

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, do make sure the timing is good on it. Are you familliar with timing guns, If not, find a friend to help you, and a good shop manual. Its always good to have a shop manual for your boat around.<br /> If thats not the case, check your fuel system. Ever since I bought my boat, I'm seeing alot of other peoples problems with having trash in their carbs.<br /> Let me know how things are going, I have more advise.

greasemonkeyozi

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh yeah, by the way, dont try setting the timing without a shop manual, it will be like going to a firing range blind folded.

izuizme

Petty Officer 3rd Class

had a friend with more experience come by tonite, he had the magic touch...its running he set the fast advance a few inches from the closed position and hit the choke button a few times...while I looked like a fool for not doing it myself I felt really good that it was not an additional (expensive problem).