1150 Mercury won't start

macg

Cadet
1977 Mercury 1150 ser# 4701703 has been setting up 5-6 yrs. Had a tune up and serviced prior to setting by a pro, but guy I got it from never used it, didn't winterize it or unhook gas ect. We have rebuilt fuel pump, removed carbs and cleaned them, put in new water pump (old one looked good), drained old gas. Motor has good blue spark to all plugs. It appears the carbs are not sucking air as you can hold hand over them and not feel suction. We have sprayed fuel in plug holes and in carbs, motor will hit and has fired maybe for a second. Seems like it wants to run. Top two plug don't appear to be wet as the bottom four. Upon hand choking gas will run out front of carbs. Suspect reeds are stuck as carbs were gummed up. By-passing disassembly down to the in-take what is involve in taking the in-take off to get to the reeds. Does anyone have any suggestion / procedures before going this route. Someone told me the motor had to be split to get to the reeds. Is this true? I'm trying to weigh my options at this point. Thanks for any info.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1150 Mercury won't start

One thing you need to have is a manual.<br />Can not stress this enough.<br /><br />You will find endless help here at iboats, but you really need to get yourself a manual if you are going to work on your engine.

Denismcf

Cadet

I have the exact same motor Macg and you will have to pull the whole motor down to get to the reeds.. pull the outer covers off and the bottom surround and then remove five nuts and pull off the power head.. mine sat for 4 years and the motor was stuck like no tomorrow!

macg

Cadet

Manual on the way. Went back, cleaned the carbs with a "fine tooth comb", a couple squirts of fuel and she fired up. :D :D This afternoon will find out how a cold start will do.

macg

Cadet

Forgot to mention the motor ran for an hour, water stayed cool and no bugs left around, made sure it had extra oil.

greasemonkeyozi

Petty Officer 1st Class

It seems as if I'm having the same fuel problem myself. I have the same motor as yours, and It runs good, just no acceleration in the water. What did you mean you had cleaned it with a fine tooth comb?

macg

Cadet

We took the carbs apart, leaving the butterflies intact. We cleaned every orfice using a wire. Book tells you to never do this but with care you won't damage any diameters (some are calibrated). We got a tool, similar to the allen wrench set, that had different size wire that you fold out. The slow speed / idle orfices were stopped up and the high speed orfices on two carbs were almost plugged, the bottom carb completely. Still have to test it at the river, steering cable be here today or Monday.

Merc-Man

Cadet

I have '79 115 mercury...last weekend made the mistake of two cans of oil with only 6 gallons of gas... later in the day I realized tried to add just gas to compensate. I changed plugs and thought lesson learned..it runs great.. but will not start cold...I know I shouldn't do it but sprayed a little wd-40 in bottom carb fired right up...doesn't feel like bulb is getting hard...should I just replace bulb and or the entire line. I bought this motor new....never had carbs worked on and wonder if it's time to get it done....are they complicated..I have some mechanical ability and would like to try but don't want to get too deep. Ordering a manual as we speak. Thanks for any help!

macg

Cadet

My carbs were not complicated to take apart and clean.