50hp 4 stroke Mercury - 2000 model

shaned

Recruit
I changed my prop the other day and noticed that when the forward gear was engaged the prop would free wheel with a ratcheting sound. Is this normal. When I select reverse the prop will turn the engine over.

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 50hp 4 stroke Mercury - 2000 model

No, this is not normal.<br /><br />Your gear cable should be adjusted to ensure neutral when the lever is in the middle position ('click'). By moving it forward it should engage gear properly before adding throttle. Same principle when moving back for reverse.<br /><br />From neutral to throttle is added there should be enough movement to engage gear + a little free play.<br /><br />If you just move the lever outside neutral the gears wont engage full and the ratching will occur.<br /><br />Engaging gears should always be done in 'one fast, firm and gentle' movement.

shaned

Recruit

Thanks for your reply. I probably should try and explan whats happening better. When the engine is going the gears change reasonablly smooth, both forward and reverse with the propeller spinning freely. With the engine turned off, and in neutral it spins free. In forward,a racheting can be heard rotating the prop clockwise, turning the prop anticlockwise the engine turns over. In reverse, both ways turns the engine over.

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

Ah - that is normal. If you're planing full speed and the engine cuts off, you'll hear it like drilling in concrete :eek:

shaned

Recruit

Thanks UU , that puts my mind at ease .