best repair manual for a 1980 40hp merc ob ?

Dershman

Seaman Apprentice
I can use a wrench but an idiots guide is my best bet. Which repair manual should i get. I NEED step by step and pictures are good too!<br />thanks you guys 'n gals keep me rockin.

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: best repair manual for a 1980 40hp merc ob ?

You can get the Seloc and Clymer manuals here on iboats. Just click on the "Manuals" tab at the top of this page. Of the two, I perfer the Clymer. You can also check with your Merc dealer or ebay for a factory manual.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

Dershman

Seaman Apprentice

I checked out the descriptions here on iboats of both seloc and clymer. The seloc DESCRIPTION sounds like more of an "idiots guide' which is my speed and also seems to be more specicic to my engine. Why do you prefer the clymer? Would the merc service manual availalbe from merc be tooo advanced? The product description says it is the manual merc techs use in the merc shop.

Dershman

Seaman Apprentice

no one else has an opinion? Fishing must be good!

Dogger CDN

Cadet

I prefer Seloc manuals. They are sometimes a little intimidating, but they generally provide more diagrams, pictures, and more information than the Clymer manuals. But the factory manual is the best if you are mechanically inclined, except that they always want you to use fancy factory tools.<br />Selocs seem to be the best if you you want to be able to do all your own work, and help you decide what you can't do yourself.