Turn engine upside down to fill gear case?

budblas

Seaman Apprentice
My 9.8 Merc. has a small vent screw that someone has broken off leaving half still in the<br />housing. The head still has 1/8' of thread so it can be still be screwed in and tightened.<br />No amount of pumping will allow lube to enter the 'fill' hole. So, I turned the engine upside<br />down and poured the the warmed up 90W oil in 'till it 'topped up'. About 150ML. <br /><br />Now my question: Should I now release a small amount to allow for expansion after I turn <br />this thing right side up? How much oil does it take under normal servicing?<br />By the way, now that you're here, what's the spark plug gap for this engine.<br /><br />Thanks for listening,<br />Bud<br /><br />PS: I'm not going to risk an attempt to remove the broken screw.

grandx

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Turn engine upside down to fill gear case?

budblas,<br />The broken screw has/had a seal on it, without the head on the bolt to seal the threads, you may leak water into your lower. You may want to reconsider removing/replacing the broken bolt.. and after filling with new oil you should replace both the fill and vent seals each time.

budblas

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Grandx. There's enough thread on the head to seal and tighten. I pressurized with<br />10psi and no leaks. Just not sure how much oil to leave in to allow for expansion if that is<br />critical.<br />Bud

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Don't let any out. It should be full.

budblas

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Roscoe.