Shift rod stuck on 1970 Merc.50

chapman256

Recruit
The rod comes out of the lower unit, it seems to be rusted where the gap is.I put the foot back and cannot get out of forward.Is the rod not lined up correct or do I have more trouble?

boatmanwayne

Seaman
Re: Shift rod stuck on 1970 Merc.50

Chapman256, I'll try to help out here, I'm thinking you're lower and upper shift splines are stuck, correct? If so you have pulled lower shift lever up by shearing off a snap ring that holds it down under the shift shaft bushing assy., plus pulling it out of the shift dog in the lower unit, You'll have to sacrifice the reverse lockout actuator and heat the splines with a torch to get them to separate, I have done this and cleaned the splines with file and brush, then grease and they were still good, be sure to get a new reverse lock cam or your engine won't stay down in reverse. Also replace the snapring/and or shift rod if the splines are not servicable. Any more questions and I'll be glad to try and help. Cood luck.

chapman256

Recruit

You are right on it! How will I get the snap ring on in lower unit.Will foot assembly have to be dismanmtled?Thanks for the reply.....

boatmanwayne

Seaman

Chapman256, If you have the lower shift rod out, and if it has a spline on the bottom,( I'm not remembering right now,) but if it does, yes you'll have to dissamble lower gearcase to insert the shift rod back into the shift lug,also you have to take out the shift shaft bushing,seal assy. Install a new snap ring on the shift rod, insert into shift lug in lower unit and reinstall bushing assy. If you are going to keep this engine you should purchase a manual for it, it will really help you work more confidently and precisely, plus it will tell you all about your engine and you will enjoy it more. good luck