merc 650 65-hp problems

mrmarvc

Cadet
Hello to everyone. I have posted here several times with problems and questions, with very good response and a lot of very helpful tips and info. I want to thank you all for that. I am down to waiting for a set of ignition points to come to me in the mail, then will get them in and the dist. back on and give her a whirl. I do have one question though. On the flywheel, when I pulled it off to clean up everything there, I forgot to mark it to get it back on in the same spot, (can't remember if it was keyed or not). If not keyed, is it important to get it back for the right timing and so forth? If so, what do I have to do to correctly set the timing? Thanks for your advice and help, Marvc :eek: :( :D ;)

greenoats

Cadet
Re: merc 650 65-hp problems

I've got a 74 650 3-cyl and I put the plastic alignment tool in place w/ #1 at TDC the aligned the #1 TDC mark on the flywheel w/ the plastic alignment tool.<br /><br />However i'm having trouble getting #3 to work, but I think it's carb related.<br /><br />so, I'm not positive but Ithink that's how ya do it.

greenoats

Cadet

If you pulled the hub off w/ the flywheel it should only go on one way.

mrmarvc

Cadet

Thanks for both your replys, they were helpful, and the way described with #1 cyl at tdc and alignment mark was the way I thiught, but wasn't sure if it has worked for anyone else or not. Now I am haveing another problem, only with the dealer I am ordering points from. The lady told me she can order them and give me the total cost. I stopped in their parts-showroom and paid for them so they could be ordered. Then she emails me back and says she only got 2 individual points in, and if I wanted the other 2, they would have to be ordered at an additional $30 something. Seems funny to me that I told her originally that I only needed one set (I give her the serial number and all) that she couldn't figure out that I only need one set. I think she must have been tipping the water bottle to much that day, as with me and everyone else seem to know that one set means the same as one individual points. Anyway thanks for putting up with my long story as it has been a long day. Marvc :eek: :eek: