title problem

billyt

Seaman
Maybe someone can give me some advice. I'm kind of between a rock and a hard place. I bought a motor off ebay. The ad said it could be titled in Texas. When the motor and paperwork arrived, turned out it was titled--in 1972. I've run a check through TPWD and it was never reported lost or stolen, etc. I think what the deal was that it has been sold a couple of times and the guys just put it on their boats and didn't get titles. I've even had someone tell me to just put it on my boat and go on my merry way, but that's not how I do things. I've found another motor in Louisiana that I'd rather have and I'd like to use this one as a trade in. Other than feeling pretty stupid, is there anything I can do? Or do I now own a 32 year old paperweight? Can I use the motor as a trade-in in Lousiana?--nothing like having to admit you've done something stupid on the internet!! I did get a bill of sale, at least!

ZmOz

Captain
Re: title problem

Title for a motor? I've never heard of such a thing...

billyt

Seaman

Yeah, in Texas you have to have a title for the boat, motor, everything. Next, they'll probably have us title our trolling motors. In any case, I'm stumped.

alderman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Missouri is just like Texas, titles on everything. Boat, Motor and Trailer. I have the same problem on a boat. Never been titled and no serial number. Missouri fix inspection by water patrol and then noterized bill of sale. Then off to to state license office for new title and registeration. Might work in Texas it's worth a call to the right people.

billyt

Seaman

That's probably the right route, but the guy I bought it from isn't the original owner.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Only a hand full of states require a title on an outboard. Don't see any reason why you couldn't trade it in in La.<br />Just ask the dealer you are buying from.<br /><br />There are also a couple of companies out there that will title the item in their state, they transfer title to you in your state. Basically, you sell it to them, they sell it back to you, for a fee. Probably not worth it for a 32 year old motor.<br /><br />You could always sell it on ebay, or part it out on ebay and maybe make a profit. Can't imagine that you would get much for trade-in value.

billyt

Seaman

I decided last night that I would do my best to do this the right way. Regardless of the hassle, that's the law here. So I said a little prayer, asked for HELP!!! and I found the original owner who I am hoping will sign the paper which will allow me to get the title. Maybe the good Lord was waiting to see what I would do. I probably could have gone around it, saved a buck or two, but it would have bugged me from now on. This way, I should have the title...and my conscience free and clear.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Yeah billyt,<br />Its getting ridiculous here in Tejas. Lots of folks go through this with boats here too. A bud of mine had to do what you're doing for an old fishing boat/trailer. Finally had to track the last titled owner down and just camped out on his doorstep. Got his signature to transfer title to my bud, who can now use the boat until the registration expires, then re-title in his name. Round and round we go...sometimes I really dislike the Parks/Wildlife buggercrats.

billyt

Seaman

You know, I fish a lot. I use Texas lakes and rivers all the time. And, I know the regulations have a good purpose, but sometimes the hoops we have to jump through are pretty far out there. I'm talking about a 1972 outboard, not a 2004 300 horse Mercury!!!! It just seems like after a boat or motor gets to a certain age there could be another way of doing things. But, 'til then.......

BillP

Captain

Titling motors can be a good thing for some. Here in Florida they don't title motors. Some lending institutions here won't loan on repowering a hull unless they have the boat title. Without a title they can't put a lein on the motor.